Year One - Part Seven

It was Halloween morning, and it seemed like the entire school was in the spirit. Everything smelled like baked pumpkin pies and it wafted throughout all of the corridors. I wasn't sure if it was some sort of enchantment, or if they were genuinely baking so many pies in the kitchen that the smell became overpowering.

I walked with Hermione to Charms class and we took our seats opposite the Slytherins. Just like clockwork Draco glowered at me from across the room. I had grown bored of our malicious banter and had been doing my best to ignore him recently. It was not going well. The harder I tried to ignore him, the more he acted out against me.

"Good morning students!" Professor Flitwick said as he climbed on top of his stack of textbooks to be able to see over his podium. "I have a special announcement. Today we are going to start working on levitation. We all started cheering wildly. I remembered the first week when Flitwick had sent Neville's frog flying around the room.

"Settle down. Settle down!" He chuckled. "Now for this spell we will be working in pairs." I sighed because I knew that since we shared a class with Slytherin just like in potions one unlucky Gryffindor was going to be stuck working with a Slytherin. Draco must have known this too because he caught my eye and raised a brow at me while a smirk hinted playfully at his lips.

"Hermione. Be my partner, please." I whispered to her.

"Sure." She agreed without really thinking about it.

"Your partners will be randomly assigned." Flitwick completely crushed my dreams when he said this. "I will try my best to keep you with your house, but I am sorry to two unlucky students who will have to cross house lines and work together." Flitwick waved his wand and two bowls, one red and one green, filled with slips of parchment appeared in front of him. He drew two names from the red bowl and read them aloud.

"Pavarti Patil and Dean Thomas." The two students smiled at each other and switched seats with our other classmates to be seated with one another. Flitwick alternated between the red bowl and the green bowl and more and more students were pairing off.

"Seamus Finnigan and Harry Potter." Flitwick said, "Gregory Goyle and Blaise Zabini... Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley."

Both Ron and Hermione let out groans at the same exact time.

"Can I take your seat?" Ron mumbled from my left side. He looked sick as he eyed Hermione.

"Yeah sure. Be nice!" I whispered back to him encouragingly. He said something inaudible.

Flitwick had made it almost through each bowl and my name had not been called. It seemed like a cruel joke to me that Draco also sat still partnerless. Eventually there were only two pieces of parchment left. I didn't need Divination class to know who I was going to be stuck with. His grey eyes hadn't looked away from me since Flitwick started this form of torture that I was convinced was meant for me alone. What did I ever do to Flitwick I wonder? Why couldn't he have just taken house points away from me instead of punishing me like this?

I grabbed my bag and walked over to the two person desk in the center of the room. Draco had done the same. I refused to look at him as I glanced over my textbook while Professor Flitwick began the lesson.

"Now, don't forget that nice wrist movement we've been practicing!" squeaked Professor Flitwick, still perched on top of his pile of books. "Swish and flick, remember, swish and flick."

"You know we're supposed to be doing this together." Draco said after a few more minutes of silence. I had been lazily waving my wand around mimicking, but not mastering the maneuver. He grabbed my wrist and yanked my hand to do the proper movement.