Year One - Part Four

We had double potions for the first time on Tuesday. I knew before we entered the classroom in the dungeon that I would not be enjoying this class whatsoever. It didn't help that Professor Snape was the one teaching.

"I heard from Parvati that the Slytherins live down here." I shuddered as I gossiped with Hermione, "Could you imagine that? It's so cold and desolate. I would go mental."

"You already are mental, Fern." Malfoy said as he slid into the desk in front of my own. He didn't bother looking at me as he remained facing forward.

"Nobody asked you, Malfoy." I glowered at the back of his head. Ron and Harry walked in quietly and sat on either side of Hermione and I. Harry sat next to Hermione and Ron next to me. The latter of the two boys gave me a soft smile that I gladly reciprocated. Malfoy had turned around to say something mean, looked between the two of us and scowled before turning back to his own desk.

"What's his problem?" Ron whispered lowly so only I could hear.

"Who knows." I whispered back. "He probably ran out of hair gel or something." Ron laughed loudly and I watched as the back of Malfoy's neck turned red. He had to be absolutely fuming. It served him right for eavesdropping on my conversations.

Snape hurried into the room, startling almost all of the Gryffindor students. The Slytherins remained unbothered by the outburst, likely trying to keep up their tough facade in front of their head of house. I noticed Draco sat up a little bit straighter at the sight of Snape. It figures he would be a suck up to the creepiest teacher at Hogwarts.

"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to enjoy the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few who possess the predisposition..." Snape's black eyes wandered over to Draco and I could just tell that the boy was loving every ounce of attention he was receiving. "I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death."

Snape turned his attention towards Harry who had been writing on his parchment diligently, but to the untrained eye Harry just looked to be daydreaming. "Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not...pay...attention."

Hermione tried to get Harry to look up, but it was far too late for that.

"Mr.Potter. Our...new...celebrity." Snape said with a coldness that made the temperature in the entire room go down a few degrees. "Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Hermione's hand shot straight up in the air. Of course she knew the answer. She had finished reading all of her text books cover to cover by now and was probably halfway through her second reading. Snape ignored her and kept his focus solely on Harry. He wanted to humiliate the poor boy.

"You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr.Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?"

Hermione looked like she would positively burst on the spot. She desperately wanted to answer the question.

"I don't know, Sir." Harry answered through gritted teeth. He wasn't enjoying being put on the spot.

"And what is the difference between Monkshood and Wolfbane?" Snape prodded further.

"I don't know," said Harry quietly. "I think Hermione does, though, why don't you try her?"

Hermione was practically falling out of her chair. Her arm looked like it would fly off at any second and hit Snape in the head. Seamus and a few others snickered at Potter's comment, though Snape looked less than pleased with his response, or lack-thereof.