Year Six - Part Eight

I woke up in the corridor the next morning in a panic. Luckily I don't think anyone had noticed me, but the pain of sleeping sitting up on a stone step was going to linger with me for days. I was certain of that. It was the first day of the new term and everyone was arriving back at school. When I got back to the common room Harry and Hermione were having a private conversation on the couch. They noticed me and I waved before running upstairs to change. When I came back down to the common room they were still deep in a discussion together.

"Welcome back!" I grinned at them, "What are we talking about so seriously over here?"

"Nothing."

"Ron."

The two of them looked at each other frustrated that they couldn't get their lie straight. I knew right away it was neither of those things being discussed.

"We were discussing Ronald." Hermione, who had said they were discussing nothing before tried to explain it away. "And his girlfriend. But I am done discussing that. How was your break, Olivia?"

I sighed, "It was fine. The bad news was Clara and I cancelled going home at the last second, so I spent the break here at Hogwarts. But the good news is that Clara and I have finally made up."

"Really?" Harry looked surprised. "I would have never guessed that."

"Yeah, and... she told me some things." I admitted, "Things we should discuss later."

A notice appeared on the bulletin board and as soon as the other Gryffindor students noticed a crowd began to form. We all walked over to see what had been posted.

APPARITION LESSONS

If you are seventeen years of age, or will turn seventeen on or before the 31st August next, you are eligible for Apparition Lessons from a Ministry of Magic Apparition instructor. Please sign below if you would like to participate. Cost: 12 Galleons.

Ron wandered over to us and greeted me warmly, "Liv, don't let me forget. Mum sent a present back for you. I'll just tell you now so you know, it's another ugly sweater."

"I like those sweaters, Ron." I frowned. "So thanks for bringing it to me."

We all signed up on the parchment. Ron was just taking out his quill to sign after Hermione when Lavender crept up behind him, slipped her hands over his eyes, and trilled, "Guess who, Won Won?"

Hermione stormed off quickly and Harry and I followed. We had absolutely no interest in being near the happy couple.

"What's this you needed to tell me?" Harry asked. "Does Clara know something?"

"Not much. The other Slytherins keep her in the dark about most things. But she's scared, Harry. Really scared." My throat felt tight as I swallowed nervously, "She says something's coming, but she doesn't know what."

"Has she said anything about Malfoy?" Harry asked. Hermione looked at Harry and then to me.

"She has the same suspicions you do, but no evidence just as well." I told him. "I'm not trying to discredit her, but it's the truth. It mostly seems like talk. Rumors."

Ron hurried to catch up to the three of us, sans Lavender. He looked a little disgruntled and his ears were red. Without a word Hermione walked off again. "So... Apparition," said Ron trying his best to ignore Hermione and failing miserably. He was staring at the back of her head as she walked away. "Should be a laugh, eh?"

"I dunno," said Harry. "Maybe it's better when you do it yourself, I didn't enjoy it much when Dumbledore took me along for the ride."

"When can we take the actual test?" I asked.