Year One - Part Two

Hermione was at my house bright and early with her trunk already packed. Her parents had dropped her off. I was a little jealous that she wouldn't have to deal with the very public goodbye I was expecting from my own family. I was still packing when she burst into my bedroom. It had been a few weeks since our trip to Diagon Alley, and now we were finally leaving for Hogwarts.

"Olivia why aren't you ready yet?" She screeched. "We have to be at King's Cross in an hour!"

"I know, I am just worried that I will forget something." I groaned. Hermione had taken it upon herself to begin throwing things into my own trunk. In only five minutes she had packed my entire side of the room away. "There. Now we can leave."

"Thanks." I told her. "You made that look so easy."

"Oh, well I have been packed since we got home from The Leaky Cauldron." She admitted. "This is all so exciting."

"Yeah. Definitely." I agreed. I couldn't possibly match her level of enthusiasm though. I was terrified. I had never been away from my mother or sister this long, and now I was leaving to learn magic? I felt like a freak.

"Are you girls ready?" My mother asked, "Clara is already waiting in the car."

"Yes Miss Fern!" Hermione said excitedly. I grabbed my trunk and pulled it down the stairs. We loaded the car and made the short drive to King's Cross.

"We have to go to platform 9 3/4." Hermione explained. My mother and I looked at her in utter confusion. "I read about it in Hogwarts A History. All we need to do is run at the wall between platforms nine and ten and we will be there."

"That's really simple." I snorted. "Come on everyone let's run at a brick wall!"

"I see it! I see it!" Clara shouted. She ran forward before we could do anything and disappeared into the brick wall.

"Oh my God." My mother gasped. She stared at the wall apprehensively before she took a step forward and disappeared too. Hermione and I looked at each other nervously and ran at the wall together. I anticipated hitting the wall hard, despite seeing two people travel through it but I felt nothing as I entered the other side of the wall.

"Ollie look." Clara said as she ran back up to me. "It's the mean boy!" She pointed at him and I tried to get her to stop, but it was too late as he had already noticed us. His eyes narrowed but a smirk hinted playfully at his lips.

"Is that one of your new friends?" My mother asked. "We can go say hi." She began to walk forward.

"No!" I said quickly as I pulled her back, "He's not my friend. Let's just say our goodbyes and Hermione and I can get on the train before we are late."

My mother wrapped me up in a large, sweeping hug and held on tight, "I love you Ollie. Have a great term. I am so proud of you and I hope you know that."

"Thanks Mum." I said muffled into her shoulder because she would not let go.

Clara jumped onto my back and weighed us down until we nearly toppled over. She was causing quite the scene. "Ollie I am going to miss you the most!" She cried. "Write to me every day so more owls can fly into the house and scare Mum!"

I laughed, "No promises, Clara."

"We need to get going." Hermione encouraged us to move towards the train. "It's almost time."

My mum gave Hermione a hug as well. "You two look after each other, alright?"

"We will." Hermione assured her.

"Yes, of course!" I said, "Bye! I'll miss you." We took our last steps on the platform and climbed onto the train.

"Let's go find a compartment." Hermione said excitedly as she skipped off down the corridor. Most people had already boarded, so it was pretty full. "In here!"