Summer - Part One

"Are you excited for your first day of work, Clara?" I asked her as we walked through Diagon Alley together. The place was bustling with everyone excited for the warm weather.

"Yeah, but I am worried I'll screw some things up." She admitted with a feeble smile. "Were you bad at the job when you first started?"

I shrugged, "Everyone is bad at first. This is all one big learning experience. They wouldn't have kept me longer than a year if I didn't learn on the job." I assured her with a pat on the back. "And Cedric Diggory will be there with you."

"Right." Clara blushed, "Pretty boy Diggory."

"That is what they call him." I sighed. We had just reached the door to Flourish and Blotts. I grabbed my little sister by the shoulders and smiled widely at her, "You're going to do great. I just know it. And if you ever feel low just know that I am right across the street with a bowl of ice cream waiting for you."

Clara's eyes lit up and she bounced excitedly, "I am going to hold you to that, Ollie."

I gave her one last hug and smiled, "You've got this."

I waited for Clara to go inside before I went to my own job. The sweet smell of sugar filled my nostrils as I entered the shop.

"Olivia Fern. I am so glad you've arrived." Florean Fortescue said. "We need all the help we can get around here in the summer. I hear you're a very hard worker from my friend Blott across the way." He pointed at the bookstore through the window.

"I try to be, Mr Fortescue." I said trying to remain humble. I didn't like to boast.

"Oh, please. Call me Flo." He smiled at me so warmly it could have melted all the ice cream in the shop. I definitely felt welcomed here.

Flo trained me on all things ice cream for the first hour or so until I got the hang of things. It wasn't a particularly tough job. It was the most muggle possible job one could even find in Diagon Alley. The worst part was simply scooping the ice cream into bowl's or cones. It could be a workout if some of the ice cream flavors were too stiff.

My first day went smoothly. The amount of customers that came in kept me busy, but not overwhelmed. I thought my day was going perfectly smooth without a single hitch until a familiar blond head of hair appeared in the window. Draco Malfoy peered into the shop and smirked when he saw me. A few seconds later the door opened and the little bell chimed.

"What do you want?" I groaned as I wiped the counter clean with a rag.

"That's no way to greet a customer." Draco said dryly. "Don't make me report you to your boss."

"How did you even find out I worked here?" I complained.

"How do you think?" He raised a brow as he waited for me to answer. He leaned on the counter that I had just shined, getting his finger prints all over it. I would have to redo all my hard work when he left.

I rolled my eyes, "Let me take a wild guess. You tried to stalk me where you thought I still worked and Found my sister there instead. You probably Threatened her until she nearly cried and then hurried over here to bother me when she gave you the answer you were looking for. Am I close to being right?"

"Now when you put it like that it sounds harsh." Draco frowned and clicked his tongue.

"Malfoy, I can't believe you would stoop so low as to threaten an eleven year old, you-" I started to berate him, but was stopped short.

"No, I obviously didn't do any of that." He scowled as he cut me off mid-sentence. "I just happened to see you in the window, alright?"

I breathed out through my nose in frustration, "Fine. Are you going to order anything? We have a no loitering policy here that is strictly enforced."