Summer - Part One

Ron Weasley and my relationship was very short lived. Only a few short weeks or so. We both felt awkward and forced to be a couple and thought we were better off just as friends. I was sure that Hermione was happy about it, though she would never admit that to me. She seemed elated when I told her the news. I still suspected that she liked Ron more than as a friend. She would tell me when the time came, I supposed, so I didn't push it.

I started working at Flourish and Blotts again the first day of summer break. It was even better than last summer, mostly because Draco Malfoy did not come to bother me once. Ron and his entire family won a trip to Egypt, so I hadn't seen them all summer, but they were due to arrive home soon.

"You're telling me you wouldn't want to read minds?" Cedric asked in disbelief one day when we were alone in the store. No one had come in for hours, so we spent the time coming up with ridiculous questions to ask each other while we sat on the floor beneath the register.

"No that sounds bloody awful. Some things are better left unknown." I laughed. "Would you?"

Cedric shrugged, "I mean it couldn't be all bad."

"Could you turn it off?" I asked.

"It was just a simple question I hadn't thought of the specifics." Cedric laughed, "No you can't turn it off."

"So you just have to listen to everyone's thoughts all day? I would go mad." I laughed, "No, definitely not."

The bell on the door rang indicating that there was a customer.

"Not it!" Cedric and I both said at almost the same time, but he was just a bit quicker than I. I groaned as I got to my feet to greet our customer.

"Good afternoon, how can I help-" I froze when I saw those two familiar grey eyes that I had not missed for one second this summer staring back at me.

Draco Malfoy had had a growth spurt. I hated to admit it to myself, but he didn't look stupid anymore. He actually looked... good? He had grown nearly a foot and was now towering over me. He finally learned that gelling his hair back looked terrible and now his blond hair was in a floppy hairstyle that framed his face... nicely? I had to shake those thoughts from my head. It didn't matter how good he looked. He was still Malfoy and that made him an ugly git.

"I forgot you worked here." He frowned at me.

"I was surprised after last summer just how peaceful working in a book shop could actually be. Turns out you were the problem." I retorted, "Do you need something?"

"Yeah, my schoolbooks." He shoved a piece of parchment into my hands. It was the same one I had gotten only a day ago.

"Right. You know where to find them." I said as I handed it back to him with a similar amount of force.

"Aren't you supposed to help customers here?" He said as his usual smirk appeared on his face. It disappeared quickly when he saw Cedric stand up and lean over the counter to watch the two of us carefully.

"Fine." I huffed and snatched the parchment back from him. "Right this way." I led him through one of the back rooms where we kept our school books. I looked for the sign that I had carefully written out a few days ago that said Year Three and began to rifle through the books as Draco watched me carefully. "You can help me, you know." I told him.

"Why? I'm not getting paid for this." He scoffed.

"Typical." I rolled my eyes, "Never ask Draco Malfoy to lift a finger."

"Not when I can have someone else do it for me." He said. He moved forward and closed the distance between us. I could smell is strong cologne as he looked over my shoulder to see what books I was holding. "What's that one?" He pointed to the furry one at the bottom of the stack I was making.