Year Two - Part Three

"Today is going to be the worst." I complained to Hermione as we walked down the corridor together. "Double potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts both with Slytherin. What a joke."

"It won't be so bad. Lockhart is amazing. Have you read any of his books yet?" Hermione gushed.

"Yeah." I shrugged, "I read all of them this summer when I was working at Flourish and Blotts. They sounded like a load of rubbish to me, especially after meeting the guy."

"No." Hermione scoffed, "He seems like the real deal to me. He's quite charming as well. And very handsome too."

"He's not my type." I said flatly. "I didn't know he was yours... come to think of it I don't quite know what your type is Hermione." I eyed her with a smirk. We didn't talk much about boys last year. There was too much preoccupying our time with You-Know-Who and all.

Hermione's face turned red, "I don't have a type." She said quickly, "I just think that Professor Lockhart is very... attractive."

"Olivia! Hermione! Wait up!" I heard Ron yell across the corridor. We slowed down so Harry and Ron could catch up to us.

"Did you get your detentions sorted?" I asked curiously. They had a meeting with McGonagall that morning and had missed breakfast.

"Yeah." Ron said. He was out of breath even though they barely ran to reach us. "I'm stuck polishing trophies, which isn't that bad considering Harry's got to help Lockhart sign autographs all night."

"How did you get stuck doing that?" I asked Harry.

"He requested it. I think he wants me there because I'm famous." Harry rolled his eyes, "As if I even want to be famous. I'm just like you guys."

"Harry Potter: Just Like Us." I said sarcastically, "It sounds like an after school special." I quipped.

"What's an after school special?" Ron asked curiously.

"It's a muggle thing." Hermione said quickly while Harry and I laughed.

We walked into potions and took seats in the back of the room.

"Not so fast, children." Snape said, "You will be sitting in the same seats as last year. I assume you can remember where those were." Ron, Harry and Hermione got up to move to their old seats.

"But Sir, that would mean..."

"You are to sit up here with the Slytherins. Yes, Miss Fern. That is correct. We will have the same potions partners as last year as well to avoid any further confusion."

"But that's not fair!" I cried out in protest. Draco turned around in his seat to glare at me.

"Life isn't fair, Miss Fern. The sooner you learn that the better off you will be. Now sit down." Snape ordered me. I stood still, refusing to move.

"Professor Snape, please. I didn't complain once last year about being partnered with Malfoy. Can we please get new partners?"

"I'll make a deal with you Olivia." Snape said suddenly, "If you can find a single Gryffindor that will willingly trade partners with you then I won't say anything about it. But if you cannot, you will partner with Malfoy for the rest of the year without a single complaint."

"Fine." I said. I looked around the room helplessly. No Gryffindor would look me in the eye.

"Seamus." I said as I walked past him, "Please."

"No way." He muttered, "Anyone who takes that spot is Snape's target for the rest of the year." I swallowed hard. I knew he was right, but I had to keep trying for my own sake.