Year Seven - Part Six

Draco didn't come back to see me for days. I assumed he was never coming back. Clara and I rationed her snacks and shared them with our other cellmate, Ollivander himself. I was surprised when one day Narcissa Malfoy came to visit the cellar. She opened the door and peered inside until she found me sitting in a corner. I had been carving hateful messages into the wall with a corkscrew that I had found. It was a wine cellar after all.

"Come with me." She said sternly. I stood silently and followed her out of the room while my sister watched nervously. The entire manor was empty and quiet. My footsteps echoed throughout the house as we walked. She led me into the study and shut the door, so it was the two of us alone.

"Sit." She ordered as she pointed a perfectly manicured finger at me. I obliged and sat in one of the large leather armchairs. My entire body sunk into it and I felt like I was being swallowed whole. It was the most comfortable chair I had ever sat in in my entire life. It must have cost a small fortune, but none of that compared to the extensive library of books that they had curated over the years. I desperately wanted to leap to my feet and go through each and every volume, but that was clearly not what I was invited for.

"What did you want from me, Mrs Malfoy?" I asked the woman cordially as I tried to sit up straight to appear like I had any sort of control over my situation. We both knew that I did not.

"I don't know what my son sees in you." Narcissa said abruptly. She kept eyeing me all over with disgust. I think she was trying to see a single ounce of something redeeming about me, but she kept coming up short. It really did make me feel bad about myself. Despite everything I still wanted her approval. The fact that I was muggle born struck this woman to her core. I couldn't imagine someone liking Pansy Parkinson more than me, but blood status really was all that mattered to these people.

"How did you even know?" I frowned and leaned back in my chair again.

Narcissa moved forward in one swift motion and yanked my arm up into the air. She examined the gold pin that sparkled in the sunlight streaming through the windows. "You think you were being discrete?" She yanked the pin off my sweater ripping a hole in it and she threw it across the room. It clattered on the floor loudly. "I've worked my entire life to keep up my good family name. I won't have you tear it all down because you've bewitched my son to fall in love with you."

"I think your husband has done a good job of tarnishing your family name all by himself. I had nothing to do with it." I spat with vitriol. I had nothing left to lose here. The Death Eaters clearly weren't ready to kill me just yet, so I was not going to hold back how I felt.

Narcissa looked angry, almost like she would hit me, but she stopped herself at the last second. Instead, she broke down into tears and threw herself in the armchair opposite me. I don't know why, but I felt compelled to comfort her in that moment. She reminded me so much of her son when she was being vulnerable. They both seemed beaten and broken down by the life they were given.

"Mrs Malfoy..." I said hesitantly. I felt so uncomfortable. Was I supposed to be consoling the woman keeping me hostage? Is that what we were doing?

"I... I just want what's best for my son. He's just a boy." She pulled out a handkerchief and dabbed at her eyes making sure not to smudge her perfectly applied makeup. She seemed very experienced in this. It was clear it was something she had to to often, "I do everything for him. To keep him safe."

"Do you?" I asked. I was speaking softly, but there was still anger in my tone. "Because I don't think its very motherly to have your son attempt to murder someone. Although that is just my stupid mudblood opinion. What do I know?"

"I never wanted him to do that." She hissed at me, "That was the will of the Dark Lord."

"That is the life you signed your son up for by being Death Eaters in the first place." I shot back at her just as darkly, "And for what purpose? Your house doesn't even belong to you anymore."