Year One - Part Six

It was that time of the week again. The day I had grown to detest the most. Double potions lessons. It meant I had to spend two hours with Draco Malfoy completely uninterrupted.

We were very fortunate. Due to Malfoy's preferential treatment and his proclivity for potions, we were let out of every double potions lesson with an hour to spare because we always completed the potion correctly far before anyone else in the class. You would think that would be the end of it and my suffering through potions with Malfoy would be cut short, but after every lesson he just followed me throughout the castle to insult me.

I knew today would be no different as I slid into my seat next to him. He didn't even look up from what he was doing as he got a head start chopping up some bat wings for the potion we were brewing.

"Psst." I heard someone from behind me. I turned to see Ron looking at me with a lopsided grin on his face. "Hi."

"Hi Ron." I smiled back, "Good day so far?"

"Couldn't be better." Ron said, "You missed breakfast this morning. Did you see Harry got a Nimbus 2000?"

"What's that?" I asked him quizzically.

"Of course you don't know." Malfoy sneered. He mumbled something under his breath about how absolutely stupid I was.

I spun back around to face my lab partner. He looked exceptionally angry today. More so than normal. "Nobody asked you, Malfoy." I glowered at him across the bubbling cauldron in front of us. "Quit eavesdropping on my conversations. They are none of your business."

"We are supposed to be working together. You and I. Not you and the freckled freak." Draco was unamused. His grip on his knife was so tight that his knuckles had turned white.

"Class hasn't even officially started yet." I rolled my eyes and peered into the cauldron. I opened my textbook to see what it should look like, and it appeared that Draco had already almost finished the potion. It just needed to be a little more frothier, probably just a few more minutes of stirring was needed.

"Yeah, and the sooner we get this potion done, the sooner we can leave this bloody classroom." Draco smoldered with resentment. "Surely you're smart enough to have figured that out by now."

I frowned, but refused to argue with him because I knew he was right. Snape had walked in and immediately began instructing the class. He seemed pleased with Draco and my progress, and awarded Slytherin points while neglecting to give Gryffindor any.

A little while later a note shaped like a butterfly fluttered by my desk and landed on my notebook. I unfolded it and saw that it was from Ron.

Harry is going to let me ride his broom later. Should be a laugh. Do you want to come? Were going to the pitch during lunch.

I peered back at him and he was grinning expectantly at me.

Cool! Can Hermione come with?

I handed it back to him. I didn't know how to charm the note like that yet. I would have to remind Ron to teach me because it seemed like a cool trick. The butterfly landed back on my desk another moment later.

Does she have to?

I quickly scribbled a message back and tossed it behind me.

I guess not? You should try to be nicer to her. She is my best friend.

"Will you stop sending bloody love notes?" Draco said with extreme irritation. He snatched the note out of my hand and crumpled it up.

My anger spiked as I watched him toss my note across the room and out of view. "We're already done with the potion, what's the point?"