Year Two - Part Two

"Honestly Ron, I don't think your wand is usable." I told him while we ate our breakfast together. "You need to get a new one."

"I haven't even talked to my Mum yet." He grumbled. "I've been avoiding it, honestly."

"It's best if you get it over with." I encouraged him.

"Morning." Hermione said as she sat down with Harry. She glared at me and Ron before forcing a flat smile. "Didn't think of waiting for us, I suppose?"

"Oh, uh... I didn't know it would be a big deal." I said meagerly. "Sorry."

"Yeah. I was hungry." Ron said as he stuffed a piece of toast in his mouth. I looked over at Harry and he seemed unbothered as he buttered his own piece of toast.

"Just... don't do it again." She huffed. "Wait for us or something next time."

"Okay I will." I nodded at her. I looked back to Ron and he shrugged.

"Good morning everyone." Professor McGonagall said as she passed our schedules around. I quickly scanned it and groaned.

"Professor, is there any way you can stop pairing us up with Slytherin so much?" I begged her.

"I'm sorry, Dear. That's just the way scheduling works out for us." She said as she continued down the line. I tossed the paper down on the table in frustration.

"We have nearly every class with them." I said.

"With who?" Fred asked as he sat down with Lee and George.

"Slytherin." Harry said with just as little enthusiasm as I had.

"Oooh. Tough break." Lee grimaced.

"What do we have first?" Ron asked me.

"Can't you read for yourself?" Hermione snapped. Ron widened his eyes and picked up his own piece of parchment to scan the schedule.

"Herbology with Slytherin." Ron said, "Sounds bloody terrible if you ask me."

"We should get going." Hermione said, "It's the first day we want to make a good impression."

Seeing as Hermione was already in a foul mood Ron and I didn't protest and all four of us got up to leave. Harry and Hermione chatted about something up ahead of us while Ron and I trailed a bit behind them.

"What's her problem?" Ron said as he nodded at Hermione.

"I dunno. She's acting so weird. I think she might be mad at me for something." I whispered back to him. "Let's catch up to them so she doesn't get any angrier." We sped up and walked in step with Harry and Hermione. I was on Hermione's left and Ron filled the space to the right of Harry.

"I hate Herbology." Harry said. "It's just so boring."

"I find it quite soothing." I said, "And Professor Sprout is just lovely. Remember when she took us around Diagon Alley Hermione?"

"Yeah." Hermione smiled genuinely at me for the first time this morning. I felt relief as she calmed down, "That was so nice. She took us to get our wands and everything."

We got in the class and to my surprise we weren't the first ones there. Seamus, Neville and Dean had beaten us there.

"Harry!" Neville exclaimed, "You and Ron really got detention on the first day?"

"They're lucky that's all they got." Hermione said.

Ron grumbled something inaudible and glared at Hermione. I nudged him in the ribs and he straightened up.