Year One - Part Eleven

Exams had started at Hogwarts and everyone was on edge. It was the final stretch before summer break began. There was only a few days left of the term.

"I've always heard Hogwarts' end of the year exams were frightful, but I found that rather enjoyable." Hermione said as we left Transfiguration for the last time this. Year.

"Speak for yourself." Ron muttered. While the two of them were getting along quite well these days, Ron still got irritated by Hermione's academic successes.

"All right there, Harry?" I asked as I looked to the other boy of our friend group. He looked like he was in pain.

"My scar. It keeps burning." He grunted.

"It's happened before." Hermione said calmly.

"Not like this." Harry assured her.

"Perhaps you should see the nurse." Ron suggested.

"Ron's right." I added. Ron smiled at me.

"I think it's a warning. It means dangers coming." Harry said. He looked like an idea had just formed in his head.

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

"Follow me." Harry said.

"Don't you think it's a bit odd that what Hagrid wants more than anything is a dragon, and a stranger shows up and just happens to have one? I mean, how many people wander around with dragon eggs in their pockets? Why didn't I see it before?" Harry shouted as we all ran down the hill outside the castle to keep up. When we reached the hut, Hagrid was sitting outside it playing a tune on his flute.

"Hagrid, who gave you the dragon egg? What did he look like?" Harry inquired.

"I don't know. I never saw his face. He kept his hood up." Hagrid said.

"The stranger, though, you and he must have talked." Harry continued to prod. I looked at Ron skeptically and he just shrugged.

"Well, he wanted to know what sort of creatures I looked after. I told him. I said, After Fluffy, a dragon's gonna be no problem."

"And did he seem interested in Fluffy?" Harry asked. I could see where he was going with this now.

"Well, of course he was interested in Fluffy!" Hagrid said haughtily. "How often do you come across a three headed dog, even if you're in the trade? But I told him. I said, The trick with any beast is to know how to calm him. Take Fluffy, for example, just play him a bit of music and he falls straight to sleep."

"Oh my god." I whispered.

"I shouldn't have told you that." Hagrid said regretfully.

"Let's go." Harry said and we all ran up the hill again after him. We didn't stop running until we had reached Professor McGonagall's classroom. It was still empty from when we had left our exam.

"We have to see Professor Dumbledore, immediately!" Harry demanded.

"I'm afraid Professor Dumbledore is not here. He received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and left immediately for London." McGonagall said completely unnerved. She hardly even looked up from her stack of parchment.

"He's gone?! Now? But this is important! It's about...the Philosopher's Stone." Harry told her.

This finally got her attention. She looked Harry straight in the eyes. "How do you know about that?"

"Someone's going to try and steal it." I told her.

"I don't know how you four found out about the stone, but I can assure you it is perfectly well-protected. Now would you go back to your dormitories? Quietly." McGonagall ordered. We all left the room in silence. When we were in the hallway Harry finally spoke.