Year One - Part Eight

The November air was frigid and cold. It looked like it might begin snowing soon, and the lake had nearly frozen over. Across the school everyone had been talking about how excited they were for the first quidditch match of the season to begin and it was a big one: Gryffindor vs Slytherin.

Oliver Wood had tried to keep Harry's position on the team a secret, but word got out fast especially after Harry was gifted a Nimbus 2000 by none other than our head of house Professor McGonagall.

"Good luck today, Harry." I wished him well as he left the common room early that morning.

"Thanks." He said meekly. The boy was very pale and jittery. You could tell he was nervous for his first ever match.

I was excited too. This would be my first quidditch game as well. I was just a spectator, of course, but it was still thrilling.

"Are you ready to go?" Hermione asked as she wrapped her scarf around her neck. Ron walked down the stairs as she asked.

"Are you two going to the game already?" He scrunched up his nose. "Can I come?"

"Sure." Hermione smiled. It made me feel better that they were getting along now.

Ron explained much more about the game to me than I wished to know as we walked to the pitch. "There's more than 700 types of fouls you can make. In one game in the 1400s or something they managed to do every single one. In one game! Can you imagine?"

"No. I can't." I said dryly. I was sure that watching quidditch was going to be exciting, but listening to the Weasleys drone on and one about it was enough to put me to sleep.

We ran into Crabbe, Goyle and Malfoy on our way to our seats.

"Come to watch your team lose?" Draco sneered at us.

"Not likely." I scoffed, "We've got Harry Potter on our team if you remember."

"He's a bloody first year. The Slytherin team will destroy him instantly." Draco said as irritation grew in his voice. "Pure bloods are just better at quidditch than others."

"Can you talk about anything other than blood status, Draco?" I rolled my eyes, "It's gotten really old."

"Nobody asked you, Fern." His eyes narrowed at me.

"Come on." Hermione whispered in my ear, "Just leave him be. He gets off on getting a rise out of you."

"What was that, Granger?" Draco turned his attention to her, "Say something about me to my face next time why don't you?"

"Shove off, Malfoy." Ron piped up. "Come on, lets go." Ron pulled us away and we climbed the rest of the way up the stands to the Gryffindor section that was full of students wearing bright red and yellow. I recognized many of our first year classmates such as Dean, Seamus and Neville amongst them.

"Hi Ron." the half giant who led us on the boats to Hogwarts said. He was sitting amongst our student section and stood out quite a bit. "Good to see yeh."

"Hagrid!" Ron greeted him with a similar level of enthusiasm, "These are my friends Olivia and Hermione."

"Hi." I said shyly, "Pleasure to officially meet you."

"Yer all friends of Harry, so yer friends of mine." Hagrid said jovially. "I had to sit over here to support him you know." He held a pair of binoculars tightly in his hands. They looked a little small for him, but that was on account of how large he was.

"That's wonderful, Hagrid." Hermione smiled softly.

"Hello and welcome to Hogwarts first quidditch game of the season!" A boy announced from the professors box. I recognized him from the first night. It was Fred and George's friend, Lee Jordan.