Year Two - Part One

Having said goodbye to my mother and sister, I spent the last night before leaving for Hogwarts at Hermione's house. We watched as much television and ate as much muggle candy as we could manage before falling asleep on the couch.

The next morning Hermione's parents graciously dropped us off at King's Cross and left us to find our way to platform 9 3/4.

"Why didn't you want to spend your final night home with your family?" Hermione asked as she wheeled her cart in front of her.

I sighed and continued pushing mine as well. It was quite heavy considering I was such a terrible packer. I wanted to bring everything with me to school. "Clara doesn't take the whole witch thing very well. She's very jealous about it. We thought she would get over it, but it's been even worse than usual lately. I took so many extra shifts at Flourish and Blotts just to get away from her."

"That's sad, really." Hermione frowned, "You two used to be so close even for siblings."

"I keep telling her that there's still time." I frowned, "She isn't even eleven yet. She just turned ten a few weeks ago. If she doesn't get a letter next year then she can be angry all she wants. For now she's just too young."

"You can go first." Hermione nodded towards the brick wall. She didn't say anything more about Clara. She didn't really have to because I was right.

My heart started to beat faster in my chest as I ramped up speed and headed straight forward. Even though I knew I I wouldn't hit the wall I still braced myself for impact. It was the natural instinct to have. I landed on the other side with ease and smiled up at the bright red train.

"Is that Fern?" I heard a voice say. "Blimey she actually looks kind of fit this year." I saw Theodore Nott looking at me precariously next to his fellow Slytherin, Blaise Zabini, who looked disinterested.

"Keep dreaming, Nott." I scowled at him and kept waiting for Hermione. What was taking her so long?

Theo walked over to me and grinned while he sized me up. His eyes lingered on me for a little too long and made me feel uncomfortable. "You know... I don't care what Malfoy says. You are pretty hot. Even for a mudblood."

"Say that again and I'll knock your teeth out." I threatened him. He burst out laughing and ran back to Blaise to get on the train. I was pretty irritated by the fact that Draco Malfoy was going around school telling people how ugly he thought I was. Hermione finally came through the wall looking frazzled. "There you are." I said in a huff, "What happened? I thought you were right behind me."

"I was until one of the station employees questioned me for being an unaccompanied minor." Hermione said. "I ran into the wall as soon as he radioed for someone to come look after me."

"That was a close call." I laughed. "Come on then, lets get to the train so we can get a good seat." We loaded our trunks away and climbed onto the familiar train. We looked through compartments, though many of them were getting full.

"Olivia, hi!" Cedric Diggory said as we walked by. He was sitting with a Ravenclaw girl who didn't look too pleased.

"Oh hey." I responded meagerly and I gave a half wave. Hermione gave me a wide eyed look that said we would be talking about this later. She kept that promise when we were finally alone in our own compartment. I stretched out and looked out the window as I waited to see red hair amongst the students in the crowd on the platform.

"What was that about?" She asked. "Who was that?"

"That was just Cedric." I said cooly. My eyes were still scanning the students. "He worked at Flourish and Blotts this summer. We're just friends though." I assured her.