Year Three - Part Four

I walked into the hall for breakfast feeling miserable at the prospects of the day ahead of me. I had detention with Professor Snape and Draco Malfoy. That pairing was enough to send even the happiest niffler into a spiraling depression.

"Does it hurt terribly, Draco?" Pansy Parkinson cooed as she stroked Draco's arm. His eyes met mine as I walked by and he raised a brow.

"It comes and it goes." He said as he turned his attention back to the pug-faced girl, "Still... I consider myself lucky. According to Madam Pomfrey, another minute or two and I could've lost the arm." He turned to see where I had gone and his eyes found mine at the Gryffindor table. He spoke loud enough so I could hear him, "I don't know how it will be possible for me to carry out my detention today!"

I rolled my eyes and poured myself a glass of pumpkin juice.

"The little git. He's really laying it on thick, isn't he?" Ron glowered at Malfoy before turning back to the table to face me.

"At least Hagrid didn't get sacked." Harry said optimistically.

"Yes. But I hear Draco's father's furious. I don't think we've heard the end of this." Hermione added prophetically. She was right. Lucius Malfoy was notorious for meddling in school affairs. I always assumed he was trying to find ways to get rid of Dumbledore. This was pretty opportunistic.

"He's been sighted! He's been sighted!" Seamus yelled as he ran over to our table interrupting our conversation about the Malfoys. He was holding a copy of today's paper.

"Who?" I asked.

"Sirius Black!" He said with a mix of excitement and fear.

Hermione took the paper and read it for herself. "Dufftown? That's not far from here."

"You don't think he'd try to come to Hogwarts, do you?" Neville asked nervously.

"With Dementors at every entrance?" I frowned, "Good luck."

"Dementors?" Lavender Brown scoffed at the mere suggestion, "He's already slipped by them once, hasn't he? Who's to say he can't do it again?"

"That's right. Black could be anywhere." A second year boy said, "It's like trying to catch smoke with your barehands."

I rolled my eyes and stood up, "Alright that's enough theatrics for one morning. I've got detention to get to." I said bye to my friends and walked past the Slytherin table on my way out. I immediately felt Draco's presence next to mine seconds later. He had gotten up from his conversation with Pansy to walk with me to our detention together.

"You're awfully rude to Pansy considering she's in love with you." I said. "She was mid-sentence when you stood up."

Draco looked unbothered, "I can only take so much of her obsessing over me at a time."

I wrinkled my nose, "It is a bit much. She's so annoying, even for a Slytherin."

Draco laughed for a moment before he realized I was still insulting his house, "Hey that's not funny."

Surprisingly the rest of the walk to the dungeons wasn't awful. I wouldn't go as far to say Draco was pleasant to be around, but he could have been a lot worse if he were actually trying. We walked into Snape's classroom and he eyed the two of us carefully.

"Morning Professor." I said as I stood before him. "We're here for detention."

"So it would seem." Snape said as he stood up and circled his desk. He waved his wand and a bunch of dirty cauldrons appeared on all of the tables. "I expect you both to scrub these cauldrons until they are spotless. You may not leave until it is done."