Year Three - Part Nine

Soon enough I was back at Hogwarts. It felt like I had never left. Hermione and Ron were consistently bickering, Harry was still moping, Dean and Clara were being friendly again, and Draco was still actively trying to make my life miserable.

"You made my bloody owl fat, Fern." Draco said when he first saw me.

"I was taking care of Atlas, unlike you." I spat back.

Yes, things felt back to normal. Neither of us mentioned the gift, and I assumed neither of us would ever bring it up again. The first class back after break was Transfiguration. I sat near Pansy Parkinson and I could hear her talking loudly as if she wanted everyone in the room to hear.

"Yeah, Millicent. This is what Draco got me for Christmas." She held up what just looked like a common notebook. I glanced at it, but didn't want to get caught staring. I wondered what other girls got gifts from Draco for Christmas. Probably Daphne.

"It looks nice." Millicent commented. Her words felt hollow like she didn't mean them. It really did seem like a boring gift to receive, especially from a boy you fancied. "Is that leather bound?"

"It's made from dragon hide." She smirked proudly. "We're pretty much dating at this point."

I thought about my own gift from Draco. The gold pin that still sat in the bottom of my trunk. "He didn't get you jewelry?" I found myself asking out loud surprising even myself.

Pansy's whole demeanor changed in an instant. She actually looked upset for a brief second before she channelled her inner anger at me. "Nobody asked you, mudblood!" She turned away and started whispering angrily to Millicent. Apparently I had touched a nerve.

"I'm sure he's just waiting for your birthday, Pansy." I heard Millicent say, "I saw him at the jewelry shop in Diagon Alley over the holiday. He was getting something made custom."

I tried to tune them out for the rest of the hour. It was easier once class officially started and McGonagall started her lecture.

***

Springtime came to Hogwarts quickly. The Snow was a distant memory now. We all headed out on weekend to visit with Hagrid. He had just come back from London for his hearing with Buckbeak.

"Try and stay out of their way today." Harry warned me as he looked between Hermione and Ron. Their fighting had increased dramatically this term and it was amplified even more by the fact that Ron's rat Scabbers had recently gone missing.

"Beautiful day. It's just gorgeous." Hermione said as we walked outside. She took in the fresh spring air and smiled. It was an angry smile, but a smile nonetheless. 

"Unless you've been ripped to pieces!" Ron said with venom in his tone. He glared at the back of Hermione's head.

"Ripped to pieces, what are you on about?" I asked.

"I told you to stay out of it." Harry warned me quietly so only I could hear, "I warned you."

"Ronald has lost his rat." Hermione explained with a sigh.

"This again?" I rolled my eyes. I was tired of Ron's rat.

"I haven't lost anything!" Ron exclaimed, "Your bloody cat killed him!"

"Rubbish!" Hermione said sounding highly offended.

"Harry," Ron looked to his best friend for backup, "you've seen the way that bloodthirsty beast of hers is always lurking about. Scabbers is gone."