Year Three - Part Ten

We didn't have time to properly mourn the loss of Buckbeak when Scabbers bit Ron so badly that he dropped him.

"He bit me! Scabbers!" Ron shouted out in pain.

"Ron, you're bleeding!" I said as I watched the blood stream down his hand.

Ron ignored me and started chasing after his rat. "Scabbers!" We all started following Ron who was chasing Scabbers as fast as he could. Who knew a rat could be that fast? Especially a fat, old, lump of a rat like Scabbers.

"Ron it's getting dark out!" I shouted angrily. "Hagrid found him once he will certainly find him again!"

Ron ran for what felt like ages until he finally dove onto the ground to catch Scabbers who had grown tired just like the rest of us. Hermione grabbed my wrist and Harry's at the same time, "You do realize what tree this is?" She said worriedly.

Harry and I both looked up to see the whomping willow towering over Ron. "That's not good." Harry said as he looked towards his best friend, "Ron! Run!"

Ron looked up at us and his eyes went wide. "Harry! Hermione! Olivia! Run! It's the grim!"

The moment I turned around there was a large black dog charging at us. I let out a loud scream, assuming we were done for as he bound straight for us. I closed my eyes and waited for my throat to be ripped out. But it never came. The dog leapt over our heads and headed straight for Ron.

"Ron!" We all screamed as the dog dragged him away by the leg. He was screaming and crying and trying desperately to grab one of us so we could pull him to safety. Harry dived for him, but it was too late. Ron was pulled into the tree, and into the darkness.

I didn't hesitate. I threw myself into the hole in the tree and kept following the sound of Ron's screams. I was surprised that Harry and Hermione weren't immediately behind me, but I didn't have time to think about it. I just had to keep on going. Ron's screams became more and more desperate.

"I'm coming Ron!" I screamed. My voice reverberated on the walls of the tunnel I was following. I made my way all the way to the end of the tunnel where it turned into a building. I stopped for a moment and tried to listen. Ron's screams had quieted and I prayed to myself that didn't mean the worst.

A hand grabbed my shoulder and I jumped. I nearly punched Harry in the face, but he swiveled out of the way just in time. "You don't need to punch two people in the face today." He said. It would have been a funny joke if the circumstances were different.

"We're in the Shrieking Shack, aren't we?" I whispered anxiously.

"Come on." Harry said as he led Hermione and I up a rickety flight of stairs. The place looked like it could collapse at any second.

"I hear Ron!" I whispered again.

"That means he's alive which is... a good sign." Hermione grimaced.

We turned a corner and entered a bedroom. Ron was sitting in the corner cowering and clutching his rat to his chest.

"Ron! You're okay!" Hermione said sounding relieved as we ran forward to surround our friend.

I kneeled down beside Ron and looked at his exposed leg, "Ron this looks bad. Can you walk?" I ripped off my jacket and tried to wrap it around the wound as best I could.

"The dog, where is it?" Harry asked.

Ron pointed behind Harry and whimpered, "It's a trap. He's the dog. He's an animagus!"

I whipped my head around to see a crazed looking man standing there with a hunger to kill in his eyes. It was the man from the papers: Sirius Black. He stepped forward and Hermione jumped in front of Harry protectively.