Year Five - Part Eleven

It was far too easy for seven teenagers to break into the Ministry. That should have been our first clue in hindsight that something was awry. Harry was too determined to save Sirius to think about anything else. It blew my mind how well he knew his way around just from his dreams. He led us straight into the Department of Mysteries, and again, it should have been a clue that the door was so easy to open.

"He should be here!" Harry said as he looked around. There was nobody around. Just endless shelves of glass orbs with what looked like smoke swirling around inside them.

"They're all prophecies." Hermione told me as she looked at them all.

"Harry. It's got your name on it." I pointed towards the one closest to my face. Harry turned to look at the orb. It was glowing in the light from our illuminated wands. Harry looked back at me nervously and I nodded, encouraging him to grab it.

He took the orb and held it in his hands. He looked deep in thought as he stared into it. I assumed he could hear what it was saying to him. We all exchanged nervous glances.

Hermione turned around as she heard someone approaching. "Harry." She called out to him, pulling him out of his trance.

The masked figure approached us and I began to grow nervous. I recognized the mask immediately. It was the same ones that they wore at the Quidditch World Cup. It was a Death Eater. One of You-Know-Who's followers.

"Where's Sirius?" Harry demanded to know. We all backed up nervously.

"You know, you really should learn to tell the difference between dreams and reality." Lucius Malfoy removed his mask. My legs felt weak as I looked into the face of the man who looked so much like his son. I had forgotten how much I hated him. The feeling was probably mutual. "You saw only what the Dark Lord wanted you to see. Now, hand me the prophecy."

"If you do anything to us, I'll break it." Harry threatened as he held the prophecy at arms length.

There was a loud cackling laugh that cut through the air as a woman with wild hair approached us, "He knows how to play. Itty, bitty baby. Potter."

"Bellatrix Lestrange." A look I had never seen before washed over Neville's face. It was anger.

"Neville Longbottom, is it? How's Mum and Dad?" She taunted him with a grin.

"Better, now they're about to be avenged." Neville tried to lunge forward, but I did my best to hold him back.

"Olivia. I should have known you would be close by." Lucius smirked at me. It was much different than the way Draco smirked at me, even though their features were so similar, "The little mudblood who thinks she has a place amongst those most pure. Now, let's everybody just calm down... shall we? All we want is that prophecy."

"Why did Voldemort need me to come and get this?" Harry asked.

"You dare speak his name? You filthy half-blood!" Bellatrix screamed and it echoed through the hall.

"It's all right." Lucius calmed her down. "He's just a curious lad, aren't you? Prophecies can only be retrieved by those about whom they are made. Which is lucky for you, really. Haven't you always wondered... what was the reason for the connection between you and the Dark Lord?"

Lucius began to advance on us, so we backed away. Other Death Eaters were beginning to reveal themselves as they surrounded us. "Why he was unable to kill you when you were just an infant? Don't you want to know the secret of your scar? All the answers are there, Potter, in your hand. All you have to do is give it to me. Then I can show you everything."

"I've waited 14 years." Harry said thoughtfully.

"I know." Lucius said condescendingly as he stood right in front of Harry.