Year Four - Part Two

The first class of the term was Defense Against the Dark Arts with Slytherin. Almost everyone got there early because we desperately wanted to know what class with Mad-Eye Moody was going to be like. The room was much darker this year than it had been in the past. I much preferred it the way that Lupin had it, which was light and airy. The room was now stuffy and filled with all kinds of nefarious looking objects that you might find at shops in Knockturn Alley.

Hermione and I took seats in the second row, right behind Neville and Dean. Malfoy, who had been sitting in the back of the room with Pansy got up and switched seats with Crabbe so he was now sitting directly behind me.

"You have fun chatting it up with Viktor Krum last night, did you?" Malfoy sneered as he leaned over his desk to talk to me.

"What do you care?" I said completely unbothered to even look at him, "Afraid a wizard like him might be interested in a mudblood like me?"

No, but now that you mention it, it makes even less sense why he would be interested in you."

I swiveled around to look him in the eye, "Not that it's any of your business, but he is not interested in me. We were just having a friendly chat, which I am allowed to have with anyone regardless of blood status. "

Hermione nudged me to turn back around because Moody had just arrived. He had a gruff way of being that was very commanding, but also very odd.

He wrote his name in chalk on the board and started talking, "Alastor Moody, Ex-Auror, Ministry malcontent, and your new defense against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye. Any questions." He looked around the room at us and his fake eye moved about the room quickly. "When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

Hermione swallowed hard before she answered, "Three, sir."

"And they are so named?" Moody encouraged her to continue.

"Because they are unforgivable." Hermione said. "Use of any one of them will-"

"Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban. Correct. Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnegan!" Moody still had his back turned when he said it.

Seamus looked startled as he dropped his piece of gum. "No way." He muttered, "The old codger can see out the back of his head."

Moody threw his piece of chalk at Seamus and it hit him in the head. "And hears across classrooms! Let that be a warning to you all." He eyed us all carefully, "So which curse shall we see first?" His eye focused right on Ron, "Weasley. Give us a curse."

Ron grimaced and thought about it for a moment, "Well my dad did tell me about one. The imperious curse."

"Ahh, yes. Your father would know all about that one. Gave the ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why."

He opened a glass jar that had a large spider inside. "Imperio." He said. He used his wand to move the spider about the classroom. It came close to my face and I winced and leaned backwards in my chair.

"Don't worry," Moody assured me. "Completely harmless." He made the spider land on Crabbe's head. "But if she bites... she's lethal."

Draco began to laugh hysterically at his friend and Moody sent the spider right at him and it landed on his nose, "What are you laughing at?" Draco looked terrified, which made everyone else in the room laugh.