Year Two - Part Four

Hermione got over whatever was bothering her quickly. We didn't talk about it at all, but since she was acting pleasant around me again, I didn't question it.

Harry had quidditch practice so Ron, Hermione and I went to the courtyard to study for transfiguration in the courtyard.

"Ron your wand is atrocious." Hermione laughed. "You can't use that in lessons at all. When can you get a new one?"

"I never told Mum about the wand." Ron admitted sheepishly. "She's still so cross with me over the car. It's another expense, you know. I'm trying to hold out until the end of the year."

"That's ages from now!" I laughed, "You can barely do any magic with it that doesn't backfire."

"Hey, there's the quidditch team." Ron said. He pointed and waved at Harry and his brothers. Fred and George smiled back.

"What's this?" I said. I watched as the Slytherin team walked past us at the same time. I could see Draco in the back of the group and he smirked at me. I remembered him telling me that he was going to be on the team this year. It looks like he actually managed to be telling the truth.

"What's he doing on the team?" Hermione hissed angrily.

The two teams faced off against each other arguing about who got to use the pitch for practice.

"I smell trouble, let's go." Ron said. We all stood up to go see what was the matter.

"I, Professor Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker." Oliver Wood read off a piece of parchment. "You've got a new Seeker. Who is it?"

Malfoy pushed forward excitedly. He stood up proudly in front of Harry, but his gaze eventually fell back on me, "That's right. And that's not all that's new this year." Draco and the rest of the Slytherin team held out their brand new broomsticks for everyone to see.

"Those are Nimbus Two Thousand Ones!" Ron exclaimed. I glared at him. He was giving Draco the exact reaction he was looking for.

"A generous gift from Draco's father." Flint, the Slytherin captain said with a grin.

"That's right, Weasley. You see,unlike some, my father can afford to buy the best." Draco said.

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in." I scoffed, completely unimpressed by his use of his family money.

"That's right." Hermione agreed, "They all got in on pure talent."

"No one asked your opinion, you filthy little Mudbloods." Draco sneered as he got in Hermione's face. He looked over at me with disdain.

Fred and George dropped the box they were carrying and got ready to lunge at Malfoy, but Wood stopped them. "Save it for the match."

"They might, but I don't have to." Ron said angrily, "You'll pay for that one, Malfoy!" He pointed his broken wand at Draco, "Eat slugs!" Ron flew backwards as his jinx rebounded and hit him instead.

"Ron!" I shouted and ran forward, "Are you okay?" The rest of the Gryffindor team and Hermione ran to his side as well while the Slytherins watched on and laughed hysterically. "He looks like he's going to be sick."

"Ron, say something!" Hermione pleaded.

Ron turned over and got into a crawling position. He opened his mouth to speak, but instead a giant slug fell out.

"Gross." I gagged. There was a flash of light and I was blinded. I blinked to readjust my vision and saw Collin Creavy standing there.

"Can you turn him around Harry?" The first year asked excitedly. "I want a better angle."