Year Six - Part Two

"Class is going to be so weird this year." I told Hermione as we walked to our first lesson of the day, which was potions. "I mean no Harry or Ron in potions with us?"

"I'm just excited that we get to do potions together for the first time ever." Hermione said excitedly, "You finally aren't going to be automatically partnered with Malfoy."

"Oh yeah." I said sounding a little deflated. "I forgot about that. I guess I've just grown used to it at this point." We walked into the classroom and there was significantly less students than there had been in the past years. There were students in our year from every house instead of just the usual two we had been accustomed to.

"Ugh, Gryffindors." Pansy said loudly as we walked in the door. Draco and I looked at each other at the same moment and Pansy instinctively grabbed his arm to get his attention. He looked like he hadn't slept at all the night before.

"Welcome! Come in, come in!" Professor Slughorn greeted the two of us. "Gather round up front ladies." We did as he said and he smiled at us, "What are your names?"

"Hermione Granger."

"Olivia Fern." I told him.

"Ah!" Slughorn exclaimed. "I have heard about both of you from your friend, Harry. Quite an interesting pair of witches, no doubt you are. Both muggle borns, yes?" We nodded and Pansy snorted loudly. Slughorn ignored her blatant rudeness, "Wonderful! Wonderful. Olivia, I have also heard a lot from Professor Snape about your proclivity towards potions."

"You have?" I furrowed my brow in confusion.

"Yes. He tells me you are one of his best and brightest students. He even suggested that you be partnered in any group assignments with Mr Malfoy over there. I will leave that up to you, however." Slughorn said. "I do look forward to testing your skills soon enough." He looked around the room and smiled, "I do believe this is just about everyone. Let's get started shall we?"

Slughorn droned on about the course objectives and what we should be looking to get out of a NEWT level course. I was about to fall asleep standing up when the door opened and made me jump. Harry and Ron scrambled through the doorway and walked forward. Slughorn looked delighted to see them.

"Harry m'boy! I was beginning to worry! And I see we've brought someone with us..." He looked at Ron curiously.

"Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at Potions... a menace actually, so I probably should just be going." He turned to leave.

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out." Slughorn chuckled and it made his large belly shake. "Anyfriend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Right then, books out."

Harry stopped him, "Um, sorry, sir, but I haven't gotmy book yet, nor does Ron."

"Not to worry. You can get what you need from the cupboard." Slughorn turned his attention back to us, "Now, as I was saying, I've prepared a few concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be? Yes, Miss Granger"

Hermione stepped up to the potions. "That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth telling serum." She moved on to the next one, "And that would be Polyjuice Potion. It's terribly tricky to make."

"And tastes bloody awful." I winced as I remembered the horrible taste of Polyjuice. "So I've heard." I quickly added as Malfoy looked at me funny.

"And that... is Amortentia." Hermione said as she stepped in front of the final cauldron, "The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example..." She paused and took a deep breath in, "I smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and spearmint toothpaste." She blushed as she took a step backwards away from the potion.