Year Three - Part Eleven

I had been laying in a hospital bed next to Ron Weasley for nearly an hour now. Hermione was permitted to leave almost immediately, but Madam Pomfrey had made me stay because apparently when I was knocked on the ground I had sustained a pretty sizable gash to the back of my head. I was now all bandaged up and had been given a potion that should have me fixed by morning.

As for now, it was merely a waiting game.

Hermione came back to the hospital wing looking wildly upset moments before Snape came practically dragging Harry who looked unconscious. I sat up in my own hospital bed and looked on with concern.

"Before you say anything Fern, Mr Potter will be fine. He should be waking up any minute now." Snape said. He helped Madam Pomfrey put him in a bed and then left abruptly. I am assuming he went off to extradite Sirius, which he seemed more than happy to do.

Snape was right. Harry did stir seconds after he left the room. Hermione rushed to his side immediately.

"Harry?" she said anxiously. "Are you alright?"

"I saw my dad." He said with a smile. "He sent the dementors away. I saw him across the lake." Harry explained. He was starting to sit up.

"Harry, listen to me. They've captured Sirius." Hermione said. "Any minute the dementors are going to perform the Kiss."

"They're gonna kill him?" Harry asked. His voice was filled with anguish. Harry had formed an instant attachment to the man he thought for a year would kill him.

"No. It's worse. Much worse. They're going to suck out his soul." Hermione explained as they both got to their feet. We all turned to look as the doors opened and Dumbledore stood there looking at us all.

"Headmaster you've got to stop them!" Hermione pleaded, "They've got the wrong man!"

"It's true sir, Sirius is innocent." Harry said.

"It's Scabbers who did it." Ron piped up.

"Scabbers?" Dumbledore asked curiously.

"He's my rat, sir. He's not really a rat. He was a rat. He was my brother Percy's rat. But then they gave him an owl..." Ron kept rambling until I stopped him.

"Ron, you sound like a rambling lunatic. They're going to check your head for injuries next." I frowned.

Hermione had enough of the two of us and turned back to Dumbledore, "The point is we know the truth. Please believe us."

"I do, Miss Granger. But the word of a bunch of 13-year-old wizards will convince few others. A child's voice, however honest and true is meaningless to those who have forgotten how to listen." He put a hand on Ron's leg and Ron let out a loud cry in pain that Dumbledore ignored. It made me giggle, and I could have sworn that Dumbledore winked at me, but it was almost too quick to catch.

He paused, deep in thought. "Mysterious thing, time. Powerful... and when meddled with, dangerous. Sirius Black is in the topmost cell of the Dark Tower. You know the laws, Miss Granger. You must not be seen. And you would do well, I feel, to return before this last chime. If not, the consequences are too ghastly to discuss. If you succeed tonight more than one innocent life may be spared. Three turns should do it, I think." He had almost left the room before he doubled back, "Oh, and by the way. When in doubt, I find retracing my steps to be a wise place to begin." He smiled as he closed the doors, "Good luck."

"What the bloody hell was that all about?" Ron whined.

I nodded, "I've got no clue either."

"Sorry, Ron and Liv, but seeing as you can't walk and your head is still injured..." She trailed off as she pulled out a necklace that she put around both her and Harry's neck.