Summer - Part Two

I wasn't in a hurry to get to work today. I knew exactly who was going to be waiting for me when I arrived, and it was not Mr Blott. I considered talking to him about banning certain patrons from his store, but I knew if I did there would be some excuse about how the Malfoys were their best customers or something.

I was surprised when I got there and there was no Malfoy waiting for me. I half expected him to be leaning on the wall with that signature smirk of his. Instead it was just the same boy from yesterday standing behind the counter.

"Hey Olivia." He smiled at me as I walked up to the counter to put my bag behind it. "I don't think we officially met yesterday. I'm Cedric."

"Nice to meet you." I smiled at him. I thought he looked awfully familiar. "You go to Hogwarts, don't you?"

He nodded, "Yeah, I'm a Hufflepuff. You're a Gryffindor, right? You're one of the ones who got all those house points at the end of the year. I remember."

I blushed. I didn't think I had made much of an impression at school last year, and certainly not with an older boy from another house. "Yeah, that was me."

Cedric laughed, "We all loved seeing Slytherin lose the house cup. They've won it so many years in a row it was starting to get annoying."

"Can you help me with this?" A woman asked Cedric as she held up a large Tome. Cedric nodded and began looking through some records to try and find a price for her. I took this as an opportunity to get started on my work. Cedric was a really cute boy. I could see myself getting wrapped up in conversation with him and not getting work done all day if I let myself.

I walked upstairs and went to the sports section of the bookshelves. It only took a minute or so of scanning the shelves to find exactly what I was looking for. There were several copies of Beating the Bludgers by Kennilworthy Whisp. I grabbed the newest edition I could find and put it aside.

About half the day had passed, but eventually Malfoy did show up. I had just finished with the gardening book section when he stood looking at me with a crooked grin. "Ah, Malfoy. I was wondering when you might show up." I said cooly.

"You were waiting for me?" He raised a brow.

"Yeah." I turned to face him and felt a little shocked by how close he was standing. I took a step backwards before addressing him again, "In the same kind of way that you anticipate an earthquake or a hurricane. Wait here." I gave him a pointed look and he nodded. He looked at me curiously as I went to go find his book.

I came back and shoved the book into his chest. "Here."

He grabbed it out of my hand and read the cover. "It's my book."

"Wow. You're a regular Sherlock Holmes." I said sarcastically as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"What's that?" He stared at me blankly like he had no idea what I was talking about whatsoever. I forgot Sherlock wasn't a universal thing when it came to witches and wizards.

"He's a detective." I told him.

Draco scowled at me, "Is that like a stupid muggle thing or something? How is anyone supposed to know that?"

"Forget it." I rolled my eyes, "You've got your bloody book. Do you need anything else? No? Good." I turned on my heel and walked away before he could say anything else.

"Fern!" I heard my name being called from the floor below. I leaned over the railing to see Fred and George Weasley grinning up at me.

"Boys!" I shouted back and ran down the stairs. The two of them hugged me at the same time and smiled widely. "What are you doing here?"