Year Five - Part Seven

Things were going well, despite Umbridge's attempts to make life miserable for all of us. With no quidditch to distract him, Fred had loads of free time to spend with me now.

Consequently, Draco was now avoiding me. He became furious when he found out that Fred and I were officially dating and wouldn't even speak to me in classes where we were forced to work together, like potions. It was probably for the best if I wanted my relationship with Fred to work, which I desperately did.

The worst thing about school was now the Inquisitorial Squad that Umbridge had created. They were a step above Prefects, and reported directly to Umbridge herself. It was made of exclusively Slytherin students and, of course, Malfoy was their ringleader. Him and his friends were always docking points and handing out detentions for stupid things like having a shirt untucked, or in my case, simply being a mudblood.

The worst of it was when Clara joined their ranks. She began to specifically target me and my friends. "No hand holding in the hallways!" She shrieked at me one day. She hit me with sparks that hurt so badly Fred and I had to let go of each other. Pansy found this particularly hilarious and the two cackled together as we walked away.

"What's her problem?" Fred said as he rubbed his sore hand.

"She doesn't realize that the minute they've gotten all of their use out of her they will easily turn on her." I shook my head in frustration. "I know the only reason they're so friendly with her is because they all hate me so much. At least Malfoy is honest about how much he dislikes Clara."

"What's even worse is all of their parents are death eaters." Fred said lowly so only I could hear. "The minute You-Know-Who gives them some kind of orders she's in immediate danger." Fred saw the horrified look on my face and started to get worried, "I'm sorry, Liv. I don't think it will come to that. At least I hope not."

"No, you're right." I swallowed hard and nodded my head. "I've tried not to think about it, but it's true."

"Are you going home for Christmas?" Fred asked, trying to change the subject.

I frowned, "Definitely not. Mum's furious at me. I already told her. I just can't be around Clara. I would move out completely if I could. The situation between us has become that dire."

"You've always got a place at home with us. Harry is coming for Christmas, and you should too." Fred said earnestly. I knew he meant it, but I feared the day he might take that statement back. What if he ever found out about me and Draco?

"Thanks. I will take you up on that." I smiled.

We headed to the Room of Requirement. It was our last meeting before break. We had to make sure none of the Inquisitorial Squad was around before we entered, and everyone was already there practicing spells.

"Were you two off snogging again?" George grinned as he brought everyone's attention towards us.

"No need. We'll have plenty of time to do that over the break. Liv's coming for Christmas."

"She wasn't already?" Ginny called out. "Mum planned on it."

"Well I hadn't asked yet." Fred turned red in the face.

"We didn't come here to learn about Weasley's holiday plans." Zacharias Smith shouted out. "Can we get back to the spells?"

Harry made us practice expelliarmus some more this lesson. He was keeping things light before the break because he knew we were all tired. After about an hour or so of practicing spells, Harry called it quits.

"Now, we' re not gonna be meeting again until after the holidays. So just keep practicing on your own as best you can. And well done, everyone. Great, great work."