Year One - Part Nine

"Are you ready to go?" Hermione asked me. She had just finished packing her trunk as I closed my own.

"I think so." I sighed as I looked around the room to make sure that I hadn't missed anything important. I had made sure to pack some chocolate frogs to give to Clara when I saw her. She would lose her mind at those.

"Let's go find Ron and Harry and say our goodbyes." Hermione suggested. I nodded and followed her out into the common room.

"Are you two leaving for the holiday?" Fred asked as he looked up from his book. He had been flipping through the pages rather than actually reading it.

"Yep!" Hermione said excitedly. "I'll be happy to see my folks, but we are going skiing for Christmas which isn't my sort of thing. I'd much rather be reading by the fire."

"I'll gladly trade you. Even if it is a muggle sport." Fred laughed as he held up his book. "Are you going skiiing too, Fern?"

I shook my head no. "My mum is a nurse, so she works a lot. We typically have a quiet Christmas. I'm looking forward to it though. I'll get to see my sister."

"There's more of you?" George popped up from the floor. I jumped because I hadn't seen him there and he scared me. I should have known where there was one Weasley twin there was always another.

"That's funny coming from a Weasley." I joked.

"Speaking of... Have you seen your brother?" Hermione asked.

"Great hall." They both said in unison. Fred opened his book back up and George laid back down on the floor for what I presumed was another nap.

"Have a good holiday, boys." I called out to them as we turned to leave.

"See you!" Hermione chirped as we pulled our suitcases out of the portrait hole and into the corridor. We walked down the stairs and admired all of the holiday decor that Hagrid was responsible for putting up. We walked into the great hall and it was mostly empty as most of us were headed to the trains.

"I see them." Hermione said as she pointed. It looked like they were in the middle of a very heated game of chess.

"Knight to E5." Harry said confidently. A piece moved across the board by itself. Little things like this were starting to become common place to me, but it still surprised me every now and again.

Ron stared at the board thoughtfully as he ruminated over the pieces. "Queen to E5." His bright red queen piece walked over to E5 and clinked the knight away breaking the piece in half. Ron smiled smugly as Harry scowled.

"That's totally barbaric!" Hermione protested.

"That's wizard's chess." Ron said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. He looked over to me and gave a half smile. He seemed disappointed that we were leaving. "I see you've both packed."

"See you haven't." Hermione eyed him curiously.

"Change of plans. My parents decided to go to Romania to visit my brother, Charlie. He's studying dragons there!" Ron's eyes glistened as he talked about his brother with pride.

"Good. You can help Harry, then. He's going to go the library for information on Nicholas Flamel."

"We've looked a hundred times!" Ron groaned in protest.

Hermione leaned in close so only we could hear. "Not in the restricted section... Happy Christmas." She turned to leave with a smirk.

"Er... Happy Christmas, you two. I'll write." I looked at Ron hopefully and he grinned broadly back at me.