Summer - Part One

I had only been home from Hogwarts for nearly a month. That was all I could take with Clara. Even our mother wanted to rip her hair out. None of us could be in the same room together, which posed a problem because Clara and I still shared a bedroom. I had been sleeping on the couch because it was that bad. It came as a shock to all of us when my old professor, Remus Lupin, showed up at our doorstep one day looking for me.

"Professor?" I said when I saw him standing there on the front step. "Is everything alright?"

"I'll explain soon." He said warily, "May I come in?" I moved out of the way and let him wander into our flat. "Is your Mum around? I need to speak to her."

"She went to the shops, but she should be back any moment." I informed him, "Can you tell me anything?"

Lupin looked around like he hoped no one would be listening, though it was just us, "Things are changing very rapidly in the wizarding world, Olivia. I cannot reveal too much. The Weasleys have moved to a more... remote location, and the Weasley children have lamented about your own living situation and begged me to invite you to join them."

I jumped up and down excitedly, "Yes! Yes! I will go pack right now."

Just then, Mum and Clara walked through the door. "Who is this?" Mum asked.

"Our old professor who got sacked for being a werewolf." Clara glowered.

"Clara Fern, you are lovely as ever." Lupin said jovially. He ignored her statements. "Yes, Mrs Fern. I have come here today to speak to you about a wonderful work-study programme for your daughter, Olivia." He winked at me, so only I would notice. "It's very exclusive, but the only catch is she will be living abroad for the remainder of the summer."

"Please let me go, Mum!" I begged. "Please!"

"I dunno..." My mother hesitated, "I've only seen you for barely a month in the past year."

"Let her go, Mum. She doesn't want to be around us anyway." Clara rolled her eyes.

"That's not true." I spat, "The only person I don't want to be around is you, Clara."

"Well the feeling is mutual." She retorted.

"Enough!" Mum shouted in frustration, "Olivia you may go."

"She always gets what she wants!" Clara whined.

"This is a work-study opportunity, Clara. It's not a vacation." Mum said sternly, "I would love to hear more about it, Professor." Mum looked at Lupin politely.

"Ex-Professor." Clara corrected her. Mum and I both glared at her.

"Certainly!" Lupin said, "But I must inform you the invitation was quite last minute and Olivia would need to leave today. Let's go to the kitchen and talk."

"I'm going to go pack!" I shouted excitedly as I ran up the stairs. I quickly began throwing all my things in my school trunk. I never should have bothered unpacking in the first place. I was almost done when I saw a familiar owl squawking at my window.

"Atlas!" I hissed as I opened my window, "What are you doing here?" The bird squawked again and nuzzled my hand. He was holding a letter. I huffed and took it from him. "I don't have time to reply right now, Atlas. I am leaving for the summer." The bird gave a small hoot of understanding before flying off. I tossed the letter in my trunk and finished packing.

My trunk thudded behind me as I pulled it down the stairs. My Mum and Lupin had just finished their discussion and it looked like they had come to an agreement. Mum looked sad as she pulled me into a tight hug, "This sounds like an amazing opportunity, Sweetheart. I am so proud of you."