Year Six - Part Six

I ended up going to the Slughorn Christmas party alone. I couldn't bring myself to ask anyone else after Draco and I had confessed our feelings to one another. We weren't exactly dating by any means, but we had made it pretty clear that whatever this was... it was exclusive.

Hermione and Harry had each scrambled to get dates. Harry was taking Luna, who in my opinion was a nice choice, especially considering the plethora of younger girls who were absolutely throwing themselves at him in an attempt to be his date for the night. Hermione went with the less obvious choice, Cormac McLaggen, as her date. She only agreed to it because she knew it would upset Ron, and had been dreading the evening ever since.

"You really didn't ask anyone?" Hermione questioned me. "It's going to be quite a boring night by yourself."

"I still think I'll manage to have a better time than you." I giggled.

Hermione frowned, "You may be right." We walked into the party and it was in full swing. Hermione took a deep sigh before she looked around the party for Cormac. I, on the other hand, went straight to the punch bowl to get a drink.

"There's no firewhisky in that, but I can get you some." Blaise Zabini said as he came up beside me. He held out a silver flask so only I could see.

I shook my head, "I've sworn off the stuff."

Blaise let out a huff that was as close as he would ever get to a laugh, "Yeah, I remember that night."

"I don't." I muttered. That fact still annoyed me.

"Yeah, that was the night you snogged Malfoy for the first time." Zabini said thoughtfully.

"I did what?" I gasped and nearly spilled my drink. How was it that years later I was still finding things out about that night after the Yule Ball?

"You didn't know? I would have sworn that Malfoy would have told you by now. He would not shut up about it. Of course that was because I was the only person he could tell." Zabini said thoughtfully, "I bet you wanted to take him here tonight, didn't you?"

"So what if I did?" I frowned. There wasn't much of a point in hiding anything from Blaise. He already knew too much.

"Not that I care or anything..." Blaise said in a warning tone, "But Malfoy's family is part of the Sacred 28."

"What's that?" I asked him. I had never heard of that before. The way he said it made it sound serious.

"It's the last 28 families that can trace back their pure-blooded lineage to show that it remains untainted by muggle blood. Your precious Weasleys are part of it as well, but they're--"

"Blood traitors, I know." I interrupted him.

"So you see why being with Malfoy is such a risk for you, right?" Blaise looked at me very seriously. "His family will stop at nothing to keep the Malfoy lineage pure. You are in exact opposition of that plan."

"So if you don't care, then why are you telling me all of this?" I asked him.

"It just seems like something you ought to know." Blaise said before walking away.

I sat with his words for a while before I meandered around the party. I ran right into Slughorn. "Olivia, my dear!" He exclaimed, "No date for the evening?"

I shook my head no, "Not tonight, Professor." I laughed awkwardly. "He, uh... couldn't make it I'm afraid."

"That's too bad." He frowned. He looked like he was pitying me, but I didn't really care. He moved on quickly from talking to me to find someone much more interesting. I'm assuming because I didn't bring anyone for him to schmooze with, prospectively. I looked around and saw Hermione and Cormac snogging. She pulled away from him and looked absolutely shocked and a little disgusted. I giggled as she ran away from him.