Chapter 84

*Unedited*
Eva's POV

Narcissa did her best to sneak me potions to help with the slow pull to insanity, but it was hard with the constant parade of Death Eaters that travelled around the Manor. Now was the longest period I had gone without the potion and the effects of the curse was starting to seap in. I could feel some memories being drained away, leaving gaping holes in my brain. I had started to say every memory of every person and place I could think of each day.

Finally, after a little over a month(or what I thought was a month) I could see the familiar blonde figure make her way down the steps. But as she got closer I realized it wasn't the thin mother of Malfoy, but another younger blonde who looked like someone in my memories I couldn't put a name to.

"Narcissa apologizes for the lateness." I study her face. It's pinched with fear, and her platinum blonde hair had a few brown roots. "I've got to dye that before anyone figures out the secret," her laugh is fake and she talks to me like we've been friends for years? It almost seemed like we had. I silently take the potion and gulp it down, now immune to the death like taste. I could feel a wave of relief wash over me. A headache I hadn't realized I had disappeared.

"Do I know you? You look familiar." The blonde girl's face falls only for a second before it's replaced with a smile.

"I went to Hogwarts with you. I think we were both in Ravenclaw together. I'm Laurie."

"I thought I was in Gryffindor?" Her face makes me a pit form in my stomach. I really am forgetting everything. "Or was Fred a Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw, and I just got out houses mixed up."

"It's okay," Laurie says kindly. "It's good that you remember Fred. You two were always a cute couple. F-from what I saw." I just nod and her gentle voice becomes a little urgent. "I have to go before the others notice. I hope to see you again Eva."

"You're a Death Eater? Why?"

"I was too much a coward to deny my parents wish." And with that, Laurie disappeared, leaving a feeling of loneliness I hadn't noticed disappear in her presence.

Laurie comes back instead of Narcissa almost daily. My sanity, which had been almost completely gone, was slowly creeping back. Old memories clogged my dreams and wasn't until what seemed like a few weeks later that memories of Laurie came back.

I took my seat next to a blonde who looked like she was about to explode. "That hat was so weird! Did it talk to you too?" I jump a little at her loud voice, though I had been jumping at ever loud voice today. The only loud voices I heard was from dad. "I'm Laurie Calle."

"I'm Eva Jackson."

The scene changed to towards the end of second year, with young Laurie, Luna, and I. "I don't want to go home," Laurie sniffed, large tears running down her face. "They hate me."

"You're their daughter," Luna said softly. "Of course they don't hate you."

"I'm not." Laurie's voice is just a croak. "I'm not really their daughter. They couldn't have kids, so they adopted me and told everyone I'm a Pureblood...but I'm not. They look at my like I'm a burden, because I didn't get them back on the Sacred Twenty-eight list." More tears flowed out of young Laurie's eyes as she clings onto second year me.

The scene changes again to sixth year. I'm staring down at Laurie's Dark Mark. The same one that was hidden on my left arm. We were both silent for what seemed like hours until I spoke.

"Use a waterproof makeup charm to cover it up. You'll have to do it a few times and apply it daily but...it'll work."

"Eva!" Present Laurie was now standing in front of me with another vile of potion. "I don't have much time, so bottoms up." I take the potion out of her hand and down it quickly.

"Laurie." I stare into her eyes, the green eyes that had been there the whole time, the eyes I hadn't remembered. "Do you still think about him?"

"W-what?" A pure look of confusion flashes across Laurie's face.

"Cedric. I-I know you loved him, and I never got to ask you after the tournament."

"I...you remember?" I just nod, and multiple emotions flash across her face before she answers. "Yes, h-he was my first love. I don't think about him as much as I used to though..." A clang from above makes Laurie jump back in fright. "I have to go Eva."

"I'll see you tomorrow," a small smile sits on my face. It feels good to remember, and to have someone I care about.

"Eva...I'm leaving tomorrow, and I don't think I'm coming back anytime soon. My parents finally got a lead and...I'm sorry." I try not to let my face show the despair I felt inside.

"Goodbye, Laurie."

"Goodbye, Eva," she starts to walk away, but pauses. "Happy New Year."