Chapter 75

*Unedited*
Blaise's POV

She apparates right beside me like planned. A cloak covers her face from sight, but it's obvious it's her. Our trunks have already been put on the train so we slip through the crowd of worried parents and onto the train. Unlike all the other houses, most of the Slytherins had stayed back at Hogwarts leaving our part of the train almost completely empty. We find a compartment in the back and settle in, closing all the blinds.

I break the silence first. "You can take your cloak off now. No one will see you." I try not to gasp at her appearance. I had only seen Eva Black up close once before the Yule Ball, but she was not a face to forget. Her normal tanned skin was now almost as white as snow, her sparkling blue eyes now grey and hollow. Underneath her eyes were circles so dark, they were almost black and her skin held tight against her body. Her black hair was now extremely long and curled, making her look strikingly similar to Bellatrix Lestrange. Eva Black was a ghost of her former self.

"Ehm...would you like something from the trolley? My treat." Eva shakes her head no, and I feel a pit in my stomach. She obviously needed food badly. Awkward silence fills the compartment and we both sit there, letting it drown us.

Draco and I had never been super close, but this year he had confided in me quite a lot. He had told me about Eva, the girl who was more than just a cousin to him but almost like a big sister. How he had overheard a prophecy about her, and how if Draco had not spoken up for her, Eva Black would cease to exist. Neither of us speak or move for almost the entire train ride.

When we were only about thirty minutes away I finally spoke again. "We should change into our robes. Don't worry," I add when she was about to speak, "I got one for you." I step out to change into my robes quickly before rejoining Eva. We fall back into our deafening silence until the train pulls into the station. As we start to get up, Eva finally speaks.

"Tell Draco I won't be able to help him with the cabinet for the first few days." Her voice is raw and scratchy, like the sound of nails on a chalkboard. I find myself too stunned to speak, so I just nod and we make our way back to Hogwarts.

Eva's POV

I keep my head down the best I can, but that still doesn't stop people from noticing me. I start to miss Blaise's absence as we make our way into the castle. Though I only knew him before as Laurie's ex-boyfriend, something about him was calming. As the group of us make our way down the halls and into the Great Hall, I find myself dreading being back. For months I had wished to be back at Hogwarts, at home. But now that I was here, I could feel the pressure of having to kill Dumbledore on my shoulders.

We turn the corner and walk into the Great Hall, but I freeze in place as soon as I see them. A few people push past me, grumbling about me stopping in front of them but others stare at me. Finally noticing who I am. I ignore the whispers as more and more people see me. I find my feet again and slowly start to walk towards them.

"Kala. Luna," my voice is too quiet to be heard from far away. I continue to walk closer and call out again louder, "Kala. Luna." This time they hear me. They both turn around, confused and meet my eyes. Luna gets up first, Kala quickly following her and I find myself running towards them. The second I collide with both of them, tears started streaming down my cheeks.

"Merlin...E-eva is it actually you," Kala gasps into my shoulder. I just pull both of them closer and notice through my blurry eyes someone walking towards me. I had expected Dumbledore with him being the Headmaster, but his chair was empty and instead Professor McGonagall hurried towards me.

"Ladies, I know you have been missing your friend, but if I could borrow her for sometime."

"Of course Professor," Luna says in dreamy voice that I missed so much.

"Come with me Miss Black." I slowly unpeeled myself from my best friends and follow the Gryffindor Head of House to her office.

"W-where is Professor Dumbledore?" I try to keep my voice steady but it doesn't work.

"He is traveling right now." She sits down and I mimic her. "Have a biscuit Black." I take one of the warm biscuits and bite into it. As the food flows into my stomach I'm reminded how hungry I am, and start to eat a little quicker.

"May I have more Professor?"

"Of course, of course. Take them all Miss Black." She watches me closely as I eat the s i hits hungrily. "You know...I once said the very same thing to your father." I flinch immediately.

"Please," my voice is so low I don't know if she ever heard me. "Please. I don't want to talk about him."

"Of course. I suppose you don't want to talk about what's happen to you these last eight months." I shake my head and we fall into silence.

"P-professor? Why didn't they hate me? I sure you know about," I point towards me left arm and this time she flinches.

"That has been all cleared up Miss Black. Everyone that knew about...it, has been informed about what really happened." Harry, I think to myself. He must have told them.

"Can I see-"

"I believe we have time to go to the Weasley's shop and Mister Lupin's house. I'm afraid Miss Tonks is busy tonight, but I can have her stop by tomorrow."

"Really? Thank you Professor!" for the first time in too long, I smile.

At the sight of my smile, McGonagall smiles just as big back at me. "Now good change out of your robes and meet me by the front gates." With a big grin on my face, I run out of her office.