Chapter 76

*Unedited*
Eva's POV

After changing into a jumper and jeans and telling my dormmates where I was going, I made my way to the front gate.

"I take it you had no trouble getting here?" Professor McGonagall says once I reach her.

"No. Why would I Professor?"

"I just assumed most of the other students would want to talk to you after your long disappearance." I bite my lip, not knowing whether or not I should tell her I took all the secret passages I could just to avoid people. "But never mind that. It will take a little while to walk off the grounds to apparate." So the two of us start walking and fall into a comfortable silence. I felt safe and comfortable in McGonagall's presence, the fact that she was not treating me like I am fragile made me like the older professor more. 

"Professor? C-can I ask you something?"

"Of course," she says as walk on.

"Why haven't you been bombarding me with questions about...where I've been?"

She lets out a long sigh, looking sad. An expression I've never seen on Minerva McGonagall. "Over twenty years ago, a boy in my house came back from Christmas break looking....well a lot like you do. His blue-grey eyes were completely grey with none of his former light. His normal long black hair was buzzed short and said very few words which was very uncharacteristic of him. I tried to make him talk, have him tell me what had happened...but nothing. Eventually, I stopped trying to force it out of him and a month later, he came to. So, though I may not be your Head of House, I hope soon that you will come to me like he did."

"It was my dad, wasn't it Professor. Sirius." McGonagall just smiles to herself before coming to a halt.

"This should be far enough. Take me hand Miss Black." I grab her warm hand and in an instant we spin away into darkness and reappear somewhere very opposite of that. In front of us is the most colorful shop in Diagon Alley. Signs plastered every window and the windows that weren't covered with signs had big display shelves. All the way at the top of the shop was a head of one of the twins, and a top hat that was getting taken on and off his head. "I'll wait out here." 

I just nod and walk to the door, suddenly feeling nervous. What if he still hated me? What if he made the same face he had made that day... I push the memory out of my mind and open the door, letting out a loud chime.

"I'm sorry, we're closed for the evening. You can come back tomorrow and.....Eva?" George had turned around from the counter he was at.

"Hey George. I-" he runs forward and cuts me off with a big hug. We embrace for a few more moments before I pull back. "Ow!"

"Merlin are you okay? I'm so sorry Eva-"

"I'm fine, I'm fine." I reassure him quickly. "Just a bit er-sore."

"Here come sit down," he leads me past the front of the shop and into the back where their kitchen is. "I'll make you some food....you like pasta right?" I nod as he starts to make it magical make itself. "Fred's in the shower but you can wait here for him." As he turns away the stove and back to me, I could feel the questions coming. "So, er what happened-"

"Please George. Not-not now." He looks disappointed but just nods. "I'm glad to see you though. You have no idea how happy I am. I got to see Kala and Luna again, and I'm going to see Remus after this. And," I lower my voice feeling sadder, "I'm glad you aren't mad about...you know."

"Of course not! Dumbledore explained everything and no one could blame you!" Of course Dumbledore knew, I think to myself.

"Thanks George."

"Don't mention it. Now, eat your pasta," a plate of food flew over to me, "you look-I mean er..." he trails off looking uncomfortable about mentioning how starved I looked.

"Hey George we're going to need more Pygmy Puffs for-" Fred who was drying his wet hair with a towel dropped it.

"Hey Fred," I say softly while he stares at me with his mouth open. He doesn't speak for a while, making me fill up with dread. He must hate me, after all I had done last year. I stand up, "Fred I can explain. I never meant to-" his mouth is on mine in a flash, kissing me hard and then pulling away and pushing me into a hug.

"I thought you were gone. I thought you were dead. I'm so sorry Ev, it's all my fault." I push out of the hug, trying to stop him from crushing me.

"None of it was your fault. I yelled at you were leaving, I wasn't strong enough to resist the imperious curse. I kil-killed my uncle. It was all me Fred."

"Ev you were under-"

"Miss Black, I'm sorry to interrupt but if you want to see Mister Lupin tonight we must go now." Professor McGonagall says now in the room with the three of us.

"I'll write to you." I say before pulling Fred into another hug. "I love you."

"I love you too."

I pull away and try to keep the tears from my eyes. "Bye George."

"Bye Eva." McGonagall and I make our back outside and she holds out her arm again.

"Are you ready?" I grab her arm in response and swirl away to a new location. Instead of the colorful Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, we were now in front of a small cottage then looked slightly damaged. Out back was a shed that had claw marks even on the outside. Though it was late, when McGonagall knocked loudly on the door Remus came almost at once.

"Professor what can I-" he stops as we meet each other's eyes. "Eva?" For what seemed like the hundredth time that day, I ran into another hug. But this time I wasn't the one who was crying. "You're alive," he whispers into my shoulder. "I thought I lost both of you." We hold each other a little longer before breaking apart and I pretend to fix my jumper while Remus wipes his tears. "Come in, come in. Sorry it's a bit messy, but I'll er...make some tea." He leads me to a small couch with a telly across from it. I sit there looking around at his collection of books, admiring how many he had before he came back into the room with the tea.

"Thank you."

"Of course, yes. H-how are you? Don't take this the wrong way but...you don't look too well." Remus takes a sip of his tea before continuing. "You actually look a lot more like Sirius." I look away from at his comment, the feeling of emptiness returning. "Oh I'm sorry Eva. You haven't had time to grieve I bet with...well I'm assuming you weren't exactly wherever you were as a guest."

I ignore his comment about my disappearance. "Well I'm sure you're still grieving. You love-loved him."

"W-well yes. He was my best friend-"

"Not like that Remus. I know...I saw some letters last Christmas at Grimmauld. I just never got a chance to ask. But if you don't mind...why did you two break up? Was it because of my mum?"

"No, no of course not." He says quickly. "I'm sure you know-knew, Sirius was very hot headed. It was after we had graduated Hogwarts, Moody had wanted me to go to a werewolf pack and try to get information. Sirius didn't like the idea, we fought and..." Remus sighs, the obvious pain flashes in his eyes. "We had broken up before in fifth year and I just always thought we would end up together again like before. Though I'm glad he met Marie, and had you. It hurt to see him fall in love with someone else, but it hurt even more to see him loose her."

I reach out and take Remus's hand. "I could tell he loved you Remus. And you could have bitter and hated me for being his child from someone else, but instead you treated me like your own kid."

"Thank you." A small cough comes from behind us.

"I'm sorry, but we really must be going Miss Black. It's very late."

"Of course, don't let me hold you up. I'm glad your okay Eva."

"Bye Remus."