Chapter 81

*Unedited*
Eva's POV

I'm not the only one if a terrible mood as May carries on. Ravenclaw's had lost badly to the Gryffindors in the final match of Quidditch and Kala wasn't taking her loss as team captain very well. She was disappearing as much as me, leaving poor Luna very worried about her. Their relationship seemed more and more strained each time I saw them together.

The same could be said about me and Fred's relationship. With me now working on the cabinet alone, I barely had time to write to Fred and when we did the conversations were short. Malfoy was no help, with him stuck in the hospital wing and at almost the end of May he was finally being released.

"I'm so glad you're here to help Mister Malfoy," Madam Pomfrey beams at me, "it's so kind to see you two have such a good family bond."

"Oh yes," I start sarcastically, "our family bonding time is what I look forward to everyday." Draco shoots me an "I'm going to kill you" look but I continue smiling.

"Miss Black? Can you go fetch the rest of Mister Malfoy's belongings? They should be in my office."

"Of course." I slip away from the main hall and into her small, but clean office. On the desk is Draco's now cleaned and repaired outfit from when he came into the hospital wing. I scoop up the clothes and am about to leave when something catches my eye.

"The Healing of Magical Items," I read out loud. Could this book possibly have the spell to heal the Vanishing Cabinet. I grab the book and slip it under my robes, hoping the outline wouldn't be noticeable. "Here it is," I say smiling at Madam Pomfrey.

"Thank you dear." While she turns away I move to where I had put my school bag and slip the book in. "You may escort Mister Malfoy to his common room now." We make our way out of the hospital wing, and once we're a safe enough distance away I pull Draco away from the stairs that lead to the dungeons.

"What are you doing?" He snaps angrily.

"I think I might have found a spell for it," I say hoping he understands what I'm talking about.

"Well you can go and I'll-"

"No. You've left me alone for long enough. Now stop being so lazy and come on." We walk slowly, well Draco does and I wait for him, to the Room of Requirement to find the cabinet in the same spot it always was.

"Okay, now show me this great spell I just had to see." I ignore his sarcasm and skim through the pages until I find it.

"Here! It says the incantation Harmonia Nectere Passus will mend a broken Vanishing Cabinet but needs to be...needs to be performed everyday for two weeks straight."

"Great. You can come up here everyday and preform the spell, and when you're done you can just call me up here an-"

"I'm not doing this by myself. Well switch off every other day. Got it?" Draco groans but doesn't disagree. "Harmonia Nectere Passus. You're turn tomorrow Draco."

And so we take turns, every other day coming up the Room of Requirement and casting the spell. As each day passes I find myself think more and more about what would happen after the Death Eater's stormed Hogwarts. Would they be stopped and arrested, with me along with them? Or would I be able to slip away from their grasps and rejoin the Order. But would they even let me after they found out what I have done? The questions haunts me every single day. Finally in early June, it was the last day for the spell. The day Draco and I would let the Death Eaters into the castle.

"You're doing this for Remus and the Weasley's," I whisper to myself.

"What was that?" Kala calls from her bed next to mine.

"Oh just a spell for Defense Against the Dark Arts homework," I say quickly.

"Are you practicing for N.E.W.T.S?"

"No," I shake my head. "Flitwick said I could take them over the summer. I'm still a bit behind on work."

"Lucky. Do want to do some of your homework with me and Luna today?" I look up surprised. Kala had barely wanted to talk to me all year and now today, out of all days, she wanted to.

"I-I can't. I promised I would study with Draco today. I think when he got cursed something happened to his head because he actually wants to be around me." We both let out a weak laugh. "But maybe tomorrow?"

Her eyes light up excitedly and I feel my heart sink. "Tomorrow sounds good."

"Bye Kala." I say grabbing my things.

"Bye Eva." As I walk down the stairs I try to stop the few tears that slip down my throat. No one would ever forgive me for this. But I couldn't let anyone else die just because I cared about them. Taking a deep breath, I made my way out of the Ravenclaw common room possibly for the last time.

"Finally," Draco sneers as I walk into the Room of Requirement. "I already did the spell, now we just have to find something big to send through."

"I'll go."

"What!" For the first time in my life, I see pure terror flash across Draco's face.

"It doesn't matter if I go through-"

"Of course it does! What if you die!"

"I was always meant to die Draco! And if Bellatrix and Voldemort hadn't threaten to everyone I love, I would have let them kill me that first day." A mix of horror and sadness flash across his face. "I don't even know if it's been worth it! Everyone I love is basically gone already. Fred and I are barely talking, neither are Kala, Luna, and I. Remus disappeared for months and Tonks is so upset she'll barely look at me. And Sirius..." I say the last two words quietly, trying not to let the memories flood me.

Draco's voice is barely above a whisper. "You still have me."

"Did I ever?" I take a deep breath, letting one single tear slip down my cheek. "There's not one way that today could end in my favor, so whatever brother-sister bond we had going on...it'll probably end today." I open the cabinet door and start to squeeze myself inside. "I'll see you in a little bit cousin. Or not." As I close the door, I don't notice the tears rolling down Draco's face.