Chapter 107 Flogged 10 Times per Person

Madam Di panicked because there were such accounting books remaining from previous years.

"Actually, apart from the Satin Store, there are also a few stores whose shopkeepers keep the old accounting books from years ago. So when there is a situation that is hard to explain, they can check the accounts directly. Nanny Duan, open the box to let Madam have a look."

Old Grandma lifted her eyes and spoke indifferently.

"Yes, Old Grandma." Nanny Duan came over and reached out to open a box. She picked up an accounting book randomly and handed it to Madam Di, saying, "Madam, please check if there is a seal of you. Are there any mistakes?"

Madam Di took it involuntarily. She flipped through the pages and immediately found her seal. She staggered to her feet and almost fell down when she realized that the accounting books were not false.

"Why haven't I ever known about these accounting books kept by the owners? What's worse, I have never expected that the old woman should have known that I would take such a step and waited for me to step in here!" Madam Di thought.

"If you want to do some more checking, I can ask the other shopkeepers to give all their accounting books to you. When they get the journals packed in boxes, they will send them all of them to you. We can tell exactly from the records whether we have put in money again or not along with the expenses of our General's Mansion during these years!"

Old Grandma spoke coldly, almost word by word, with her scorching eyes fixed on Madam Di's face.

"Madam!" Nanny Zhou reached out and pulled Madam Di's sleeves gently with an air of panic on her face.

"Mo-mother, since you don't believe me at all, what should I check these for..." Madam Di covered her face with her handkerchief, appearing heartbroken and anguished. But she dared not wail and cry crazily like she had the first time, and her spirit faded away.

"The truth turns out to be like this. Madam Di, do you still want to say something?" Old Grandma continued to ask.

"Mother... But I have managed the backyard of General's Mansion for so many years. Even though I have not been rewarded, I should get credit for my hard work at least! Mother, if you take all my money away, how could I live my life with my child?" Madam Di wept and wined with her head drooped down, unwilling to leave, looking so pathetic!

She was so shrewish today and created such a fracas, only to find that she had gained nothing! How could she be satisfied!

"We will use the money to purchase some stores when arriving at the capital. At that time, there will be two stores given to you." Old Grandma said slowly, "You have your dowry stores in the capital yourself from before. Taking these into consideration, you have a lot already. Moreover, you share a portion of everything in the mansion. Should you haggle over every ounce?"

When Madam Di got married, there were several stores listed on the manuscript of her dowry. After Madam Di left the capital with Qin Huaiyong, the stores were left in the capital and kept by the mansion of Duke Yong. Old Grandma once leafed through the list of her dowry and there were quite a few stores included.

"Mother, will my stores still managed by me?" Madam Di said, wiping her tears. Although she was unwilling, at least she had some hope.

"Of course, it is you who will run the stores. The two stores that will be given to you along with your dowry stores will not be governed by the mansion. Since you have left the capital so many years ago, if you take over your stores, I'm afraid you will have a busy time," Old Grandma said calmly.