Chapter 165 Fighting to Feed Madam Di Medicine

Behind Qin Yuru, Di Yan tilted his head to look Qi Rongzhi up and down. There was the shadow of a smile on his amicable face.

He was a step too late and happened to catch Qin Yuru pull Qi Rongzhi's hand away impolitely. Qi Rongzhi looked so upset that the rim of her eyes was red. Her demeanor was somewhat timid. It really reminded him of his older female cousin. He couldn't help himself and stepped forward to greet them.

When Qin Yuru turned his head and saw Di Yan, he said unhappily, "Cousin Brother!"

"Crown Prince!" Qi Rongzhi was rejoicing inside, but she looked more upset than ever. She turned sideways to perform a curtsy before deliberately dabbing at the corner of her eyes as if she was wiping her tears. She forced a smile on her face. To Di Yan, it looked like she was feigning her happiness.

Qin Wanru curtsied as well before saying, "Cousin Brother!"

She then moved aside and observed the three people present with her. Di Yan looked sympathetic, Qi Rongzhi looked evasive and wronged, while Qin Yuru could barely hide his anger.

She blinked twice, allowing her long lashes to sweep her cheeks, with a faint smirk. She continued standing there, observing the proper etiquette, and acted as if she didn't notice the conflict brimming between the three of them!

She had just arrived in the capital; she had a lot to attend to. She had no time to put on a show with Madam Di, much less allow Madam Di to torment her by making her a carer.

Di Yan reluctantly looked away from Qi Rongzhi to turn around and ask Qin Yuru, "What's wrong, Cousin Yuru?"

He couldn't help marveling at the beautiful women in Jiangzhou. Not only was his cousin a beauty, but so was Magistrate Qi's daughter. Both had their merits and were as lovely as orchids in the spring and chrysanthemum in the autumn. Qin Wanru was beautiful, but she was still too young. It was hard to consider her a young lady who had come of age at first glance.

Thus, she wasn't as attractive as Qi Rongzhi!

"Miss Qi insisted on coming here to serve Mother at her sickbed! What a joke!" Qin Yuru said impatiently. She had noticed how reluctant Di Yan looked when he had to look away from Qi Rongzhi, and it made her feel deeply resentful.

"Why would you want to serve Mother at her sickbed, Miss Qi?" Di Yan, finally getting a legitimate excuse to speak to Qi Rongzhi, turned to question the latter.

"It was Madam Di and General Qin who took care of me on behalf of my parents when I first came to the capital. My parents had repeatedly reminded me of our familial ties and told me to treat them as my own family. I must be as filial to them as I would my parents. Now that Madam Di has fallen ill, I must care for her myself, or I'll feel ill at ease!"

Qi Rongzhi replied in a soft voice.

Di Yan nodded. The admiration in his eyes became even more evident. What a good-natured woman, he thought. Even though she came from a small town in Jiangzhou, she wasn't lacking in etiquette by any means. In fact, her manners were even better than most young ladies from well-off families.

"Since that's the case..." Di Yan said. Since she was here, she could just enter. It wasn't a bad thing to have another carer. Qin Wanru was so young anyway; what did she know about taking care of the sick? Qi Rongzhi would be far more dependable.

"Cousin Brother, you must get Mother's permission for this!" Qin Yuru said, hastily trying to stop him when she saw that he intended to agree.

Di Yan was unhappy with Qin Yuru's interruption but didn't take it to heart. Indeed, Madam Shi must be the first one to make the decision. "Let's enter together for now. It's quite cold here under the air vent. Cousin Sisters, how can you withstand the cold when you're all so thin and weak?"