♡ iwaoi - we might die ♡

Naturally, Oikawa started panicking when the elevator started making noises it probably shouldn't have.

The creaks that came from each step Oikawa took terrified him, and the loud bang made him want to cry - elevators should be quiet and peaceful, but the current experience was much less than that.

"Iwa- Uhm, Iwa-chan?"

Iwaizumi had paid no mind to it all, humming a tune Oikawa had gotten stuck in his head by constant singing, not that he minded. "Yeah?"

Oikawa took a shaky step towards his best friend, tentatively wrapping his hands around Iwaizumi's arm, who eyed him suspiciously as he looked up at Oikawa.

"The uh-- The elevator is making weird noises."

Raising an eyebrow, Iwaizumi turned his gaze towards the panel, eying it carefully. "They do that sometimes."

Oikawa nodded and tried to convince himself that Iwaizumi was right, that this was normal. He failed at that, however, and when the elevator started shaking slightly, so did Oikawa.

Iwaizumi's eyes widened as he felt the elevator move. He looked at Oikawa briefly, deciding maybe Oikawa was right and something was wrong. "I'm gonna - Uh, I'm gonna press the call button, okay?"

Oikawa shakily nodded, and Iwaizumi tried his best to make his way in a composed fashion to the button. Oikawa was freaking out behind him, he didn't want to add to his stress.

The speakers played a short, seemingly innocent tune that didn't fit the situation at all. A red light lit up next to the button he had pressed, and the speakers seemed to be far too quiet compared to the constant squeaks of the elevator. "Hello, how can I help you?"

Iwaizumi swallowed, trying his best to calm Oikawa down by rubbing soothing circles into his back. "The elevator is shaking and uh, there are a few weird noises."

From the speakers, frantic typing could be heard before the voice returned, a slight panic in the lady's tone. "Right, uh. What number is the elevator you're on?"

"Three." 

"Oh," More rushed typing sounded, and Iwaizumi was having enough of a hard time trying to keep himself calm, nonetheless trying to keep Oikawa from fainting. "We've had complaints about that one before, ah!"

Iwaizumi's fingers were crossed, hoping, praying, that it was going to end well. He nearly jumped when the lady started talking again, a small beep also coming from the speaker. "We sent a technician that way, and well, I'm so, so sorry but I don't know if I can do anything else at the moment."

Oikawa was almost breathing fine again, granted he hadn't heard much of the conversation as he was too busy trying to focus his attention on his best friend's soothing strokes in his hair rather than the fact that not all was going well.

Iwaizumi brought Oikawa into a gentle hug, allowing Oikawa to bury his head in his chest and wrap his arms around Iwaizumi. "...Iwa-chan?"

"Yes, 'Kawa?"

Oikawa's eyes were brimmed with tears, and the look on his face absolutely broke Iwaizumi's heart. "Do you think... do you think it's gonna be okay?"

The elevator dropped slightly, and Iwaizumi bit his lip. "I don't know, 'Kawa, but..." Iwaizumi rested his head on top of Oikawa's, gently rubbing his back. "But if it's not, I think there is something I should let you know first."

Oikawa squeezed into the hug, letting Iwaizumi know he was listening. Iwaizumi sighed, if there was any time to do this, it had to have been now - on the rather terrifying side of it all, this might be his last time to do this. "Oikawa, I.."

For good measure, Iwaizumi looked over Oikawa's features, examining and adoring each and every one before bringing a light smile to his face. "I love you."

Oikawa's own lips let a genuine smile sit, trusty and sweet even if it might, just possibly, be his last. One thing about living on the top floor of your apartment complex was that there was a long way down to the bottom - and this whole ordeal was not that long into the ride, so they were still pretty far up. "I love you too."

They sat in near silence, the creaking of the elevator the only noise as they enjoyed their time as if it were all they had, and, quite possibly, each other was all they had.

"You know, if this doesn't go well, at least there will only be 25 elevator deaths left for the year."

Oikawa rolled his eyes, still puffy and tired. "I don't want to be one of the 27 elevator deaths, and I sure as all things don't want you to be one either."

A quiet bing sounded throughout the small area, both of them nervously turning their attention to the speaker system. "Hi, it's me again. I don't know all the technical stuff, but they pulled a few things and the door should open soon, press the button and call again if it doesn't."

True to the lady's words, the door opened and left them only two floors down from where they had started. Oikawa was still gripping tight onto Iwaizumi's arm as they found the stairs, both quickling coming upon the agreement to head back up and rest for a while before returning down, grocery shopping could wait a while.

Nearly as soon as they made it to their apartment, Oikawa collapsed on their bead, Iwaizumi joining him soon after, bringing him into a light hug. "We almost died."

"Not almost, 'Kawa, could've."

Oikawa only rolled his eyes, turning over on his back so he was cuddling Iwaizumi. "Yeah, yeah, whatever."

It was silent, finally, and although there was no loud screeching of the faulty elevator, there was the screeching in both of their brains asking what's next?

"So uh," Iwaizumi started, awkwardly breaking the silence as he looked at Oikawa. "Did you mean what you said?"

Oikawa's tone was faulty, still worn but in it's best attempt to speak without cracking. "Well, yeah. Did you?"

Iwaizumi's own voice cracked a little, too many things rushing past his train of thought to keep himself in check. "Yeah, I did."

More silence followed, and they both wondered why this had to be so hard.

"Oikawa," Once again, Iwaizumi was the first to speak as he ran his fingers through Oikawa's soft chocolate locks. "What does this make us?"

Oikawa was quick to respond this time, more confidence in his tone although it wasn't quite his regular voice, much calmer. "What do you want this to make us?"

"If you're okay with it," words were certainly not in Iwaizumi's favor, "I'd like to be your boyfriend."

A smile graced Oikawa's lips as he cuddled closer to his boyfriend. "I'd be okay with that." 

~finished.

good morning, afternoon, or whatever time it is when you're reading this :)