♡ Happy birthday, Tooru! ♡

x angsty kinda? x

"Today's lunch will be hamburgers, hot dogs, and salad. July 20 birthdays are- oh, there's only one. Oikawa Tooru." 

Not that Hajime was listening to the announcements in the first place. He was to busy being off in dreamland half-asleep. He had spent the last few nights trying to figure out the perfect gift for Tooru's birtday, and we was very, very low on sleep. 

"Iwa-chan~ Isn't today a special day~?"

"What? No- Don't bother me, Loserkawa. I'm tired." 

"Oh. I'm really sorry Iwa-chan. I'll go now." Iwaizumi could tell that Oikawa was sad about not getting to tell him whatever the hell today was, but he figured it was probably just some volleyball idol's birthday or a tournament - something completely irrelevant. 

"Oi, Iwaizumi! Where's Oikawa, why aren't you with him?" 

"Oh he's mad at me. I didn't care to listen to him say whats so special about today or something - or maybe it was me calling him Loserkawa - I don't remember. Anyway, and now he's ignoring me." 

"Oh- You messed up, bro." 

"What, does he need to be treated like a princess or something? He's just being petty, he'll be over it soon enough." 

x

Oikawa wasn't over it by lunchtime. He was sitting by Hajime, like always, nibbling at his fancy milk bread. 

"Oikawa, why aren't you eating? Isn't milk bread like, your favorite thing ever?" 

"I'm not hungry."

"Oi, if this is about this morning, I'm sorry. I'm just really tired today and I didn't want you to go on about another volleyball idol's birthday."  

"Oh, it's fine, Iwa-chan. It's just another volleyball idol's birthday, after all." 

"Let me guess, it's your favorite?" 

"Far from it. Let's just eat." 

x

Oikawa's locker was extra pilled with gifts today. And last Iwaizumi checked, Hanamkai and Matsukawa weren't Oikawa's fan girls. 

"Thanks, Makki-chan! I know, I guess he's just forgot or something." 

"Hey, what's with all the gifts? Geez, did you win something or whatever?"

"Nope. I guess it must be my birthday or something!" 

"Oi, cut it out. I would remember if it was your birthday."

"I would have thought so too." 

By the time practice rolled around, Oikawa was receiving gifts left and right, but nonetheless looked worse than ever. Iwaizumi didn't notice - he was too tired and out of it, not 100% sure he was even awake, seeing as the day felt funny. He couldn't wait for the day to be over. (Neither could Oikawa.) 

"Here, Oikawa-senpai! I hope you like the cookies, I baked them myself!" 

"Thank you, Kindachi!" 

"Oh hey, Karasuno's #10 and #9 came even!" 

Hinata and Kageyama walked over to Oikawa, arms outstretched with a gift in each of their hands. Iwaizumi was too far away to hear what they were saying, and he has too tired to care.

"You'd think it's his birthday or something." 

"Iwaizumi, do you know what volleyball idol's birthday is today?" 

"What? No. Why would I?" 

"Why wouldn't you. I thought you and Oikawa were close." 

"We are! That doesn't mean I have to memorize every one of his favorite volleyball players' birthdays." 

"This is one you shouldn't forget."

"Yeah, whatever." 

Me: Oi Crappykawa what was all the gifts today abt? ? 

Cutiekawa: oh nothing

Me: k whatever
Me: want 2 hang out 2night? my parents r out of town and im bored

Cutiekawa: sure

Me: ill be there in 5
(read, july 20th at 4:23 pm)

x

"What's with the cake? "

"Oh, I was celebrating that one volleyball players birthday. You know, the one you didn't care to hear about."

"Oi, stop with the pettiness. It's just some random dude anyway, you don't need a cake and all."  

"I guess you're right. He probably has a best friend to celebrate it with." 

"You're weird." 

x

Oikawa wouldn't stop about the volleyball player's birthday. 

"Fine! Tell me what random person I don't care about's birthday is, I don't care!" 

"Look it up."

"Oh, for the love of-" 

x

Oikawa was taking a long time in the bathroom. Faint whimpers and cries could be heard through the door. He was on the phone.

"I know, Makki-chan. I just didn't expect him to forget."

"I know, I know there is always next year, but that's another whole year later!"

"Yeah! All I got was insults."

"He hates me. I think I hate me too."

"Thanks, Makki-chan."

"I'd love to- but he's over right now." 

"I know, I'm stupid." 

"You think so?"

"Okay, I'll go tell him." 

Iwaizumi thought Oikawa had weird conversations. 

x

"Iwa-chan, I remembered I made plans with Makki and Mattsun earlier and I have to go. Do you want to come with?" He bit the inside of his cheek.

"Where too?" 

"The park with the tea stand!"

"Of course, it's your favorite place. You're so spoiled."

"I guess I am. Are you coming?"

"Why not."

x

All the other three had to use the bathroom. Iwaizumi decided it would be a good time to look up that one player's birthday incase Oikawa asked again. 

volleyball birthdays july 20 

search results: 
www.onthisday.org: July 20 birthdays in sports

www.famousbirthdays.org: Famous Birthdays on July 20th

www.oikawafanclub.org: HAPPY BIRTHDAY KING! WE LOVE YOU!! 

... 

Famous Birthdays. 
- volleyball, july 20 - 

Oikawa Tooru, 1

...

x

Oikawa came back with clearly puffy cheeks and blotchy skin. 

"Oikawa, about the birthday thing-"

"It was stupid anyway! Don't worry about it, Iwa-chan. Let's go get tea."

"I'll pay for your tea."

"Thanks for the offer Mattsun, but I don't want to be too spoiled!" 

x

"Hey, Iwa-chan, Makki and Mattsun have to go, do you want to have a sleepover? I promise I won't snore too loud and we can even eat that cake - even if it doesn't have any purpose, cake is always fun." 

"Sure, and-" 

"I'll go cut the cake!" 

x

The frosting on the cake was smeared but left a faint trace of letters written in teal icing, Oikawa's favorite color.

x

"Oikawa, I'm sorry." 

"Sorry for what?"

"For forgetting-"

"You didn't forget anything, Iwa-chan! Just some random volleyball idol's birthday who you don't even care about and probably has a wonderful best friend to celebrate it with." 

"Let me finish. I'm sorry, I don't even know where to start. Happy birthday, I'm sorry I forgot, I'm stupid, I'm sorry I've been a total jerk to you all day, on your birthday even, I'm sorry I complained about your constant talking, I swear I don't mind it most of the time! I don't always hear every word but your voice is very nice to listen to and I get lost in thought sometimes, anyway, I was really tired because I was trying to figure out a good birthday present for you last night, not that I'm trying to justify anything. Overall, I'm sorry, happy birthday, I love you."

"I love you too, Iwa-chan. Please. Please never do that again - it was hard not to run away and cry every 5 seconds. It's fine if you don't have a gift, I have tons and I don't care much for that anyway." 

"I'm so sorry. I won't forget ever again, I swear!"

"Pinkie promise?" 

"Pinkie promise!" 

"Goodnight Iwa-chan. Let's go to the mall tomorrow, yeah?"

"Yeah."

xx

this sucks

i slept like 2 hours woah so much 

it will be a long time until the next angst, it makes me too sad to write it