♡ bokuaka - soulmates ♡

Bokuto sat in his room spacing out. This was nothing unusual, he often lost himself in thought when thinking about soulmates. It was crazy to think that every ounce of ink on his skin showed up on someone else’s, somewhere in the world. And his soulmate never wrote back - he’s only been of age to share ink for a year, but he was hoping to get a response sooner rather than later.

‘Maybe they’re a grade below me? What if they just don’t want to write back, and think I’m annoying?’

What ifs were all he could think of. He really, really hoped that his soulmate was just younger than him and will be able to write back to him soon, but he never knew. He sighed, tossing a volleyball up over and over again toward the ceiling. 

December 5th. 

It was just barely December 5th - it was 1 am in the morning so it hadn’t been the 5th for too long. He knew today was Akaashi’s birthday, the birthday when he would get to write to his soulmate. Bokuto was admittedly a little jealous - both that Akaashi was going to have a soulmate to talk to and Bokuto still didn’t have one, and that Akaashi won’t have as much time for Bokuto.

Bokuto contemplated texting Akaashi a happy birthday, but didn’t want to accidentally wake Akaashi up and make him upset. He rested his forearm against his forehead, lost in thought but not having anything to think about. The ball felt cold resting next to his cheek, but he didn’t mind enough to move it.

The next thing Bokuto knew, his alarm clock was screaming at him. He groaned and sat up, blearly scanning the room around him. He wasn’t entirely sure if he had even fallen asleep, or if he was just too lost somewhere else. He washed his face, clearing all the tear tracks from last night. Picking up his bag, he stuffed the scarf he bought for Akaashi into his bag, and started off to morning practice.

x

The first thing Akaashi noticed about Bokuto that morning was how shaky he was. Walking into the gymnasium early that morning, Bokuto’s arms and legs visibly shook, and dark eye bags were present under his lovely golden eyes.

“Good morning, Bokuto-san. You seem a little off today, are you alright?”

“Huh? Oh yeah I’m-” Bokuto’s sentence got cut off by a yawn, “-fine. Happy birthday, Akaashi.”

He lazily pulled out a wrapped gift and handed it to Akaashi, who was stunned into silence. Bokuto had perfectly pronounced his name, and no energy filled his words. 

“Bokuto-san. I’m grateful for the gift. But really, please tell me what is upsetting you.”

“Ah, ‘Kaashi, it’s nothing. Have you written to your soulmate yet?”

“Um. No.”

Bokuto looked at him surprised. 

“Oh, ‘Kaashi. You should write to them. Trust me, they are probably dying waiting to meet you.”

Akaashi questioned the emphasis. Bokuto hadn’t ever really spoken about his soulmate before, so Akaashi figured it wasn’t too important to him. However, from their current exchange, he figured that Bokuto simply had been waiting for a long while to talk to his soulmate. 

“Bokuto-san. Have you not spoken to your soulmate yet?”

Bokuto froze, looking rather uncomfortable.

“No.. Well I wrote to them but they never said anything back. It’s fine though, they're probably just younger than me or their parents don’t want them talking to me yet. It’s fine.”

Bokuto looked almost like he was not only trying to convince Akaashi but himself as well. It was clearly a troubling topic for him.

“Here, Bokuto. Why don’t we both write to them? You could always give it another go.”