❆ kagehina - the snow makes decisions ❆

Practicing far too late was a regular occurrence for Karasuno's freak duo. Neither boy seemed to tire of their repetitive sessions, despite how taxing they were on their stamina.

Of course, the motivation to continue practicing was mostly fueled by determination to get better, constantly fighting to one-up each other every chance available. But there was a fraction, just a tiny sliver, that Kageyama knew wasn't the race to be better - no, he was certain, although he couldn't find himself admitting it, that he enjoyed Hinata's company.

It was a simple thing, something Kageyama found easy to ignore - at first, that is. But as months flew by and Hinata grew impossibly cuter, Kageyama caught himself drifting away in peaceful thoughts and what-ifs cornering their relationship.

Over the decent time they had spent at Karasuno, Hinata's build had strengthened, he was able to run faster, somehow even more energetic, and, importantly to Kageyama, his hair was fluffier. Everything about the boy constantly demanded Kageyama's attention, be it in class, volleyball practice, or even nights he couldn't sleep, smiling as he scrolled through their conversations.

Thunk.

"Kageyama, pay attention to me!"

Said boy turned around, scowling at the smaller who had interrupted his train of thought. Right, right, Kageyama had to bring his focus to the real Hinata, who was standing a few feet away from him and glaring with an expression Kageyama didn't think he would want to see again.

Hinata sighed, lowering the second ball he was planning on throwing at his best friend. "Ugh. Anyways, as I was saying before you so rudely decided to ignore me, could you help me practice servers again..."

Kageyama lost concentration to conversation again, eyes finally allowing themselves to fully look at Hinata. The winter snow was sticking in his hair, melting and flattening the normally wild mess that Kageyama so adored. He observed the pink tint on Hinata's nose and cheeks, finding it adorable as he sniffled every so often, scrunching his nose.

"Kageyama? Kageyama! Ka - ge - ya - ma. Kageyama!"

Thunk the second.

"Ow! Stop throwing volleyballs at me, Hinata, that hurt!"

Hinata frowned then gave a pout, unknowingly causing Kageyama to melt even in the below zero weather. "I don't really care. Are you gonna help me serve or will I have to keep practicing on your head?"

Kageyama was still half-lost in his own world when Hinata came rushing at him, so the following shouldn't eintirly be blamed on him.

Catching Hinata by shirt almost naturally, Kageyama momentarily observed the boy up close, releasing him when he realised how bad of an awkward situation he must've just created. His thoughts had led him to the conclusion that he was romantically interested in his best friend, and he wasn't supposed to be happy about it.

He couldn't be too sure, either. So what harm would a simple test do? Besides, Hinata's lips were always plump and looked so soft, Kageyama couldn't help himself as he reached forward to give Hinata a quick kiss.

Both of them stood there for a moment, snow settling on the bare skin exposed to the frozen bight of winter. It took a bit for Hinata to catch up to speed, but when he did he screeched.

And, as screeches normally do, brought Kageyama's attention to him. (and a sweet old couple walking by on their way for a date, but that's besides the point.) "You just kissed me!"

Kageyama found a headache growing every persistent in his head. He knew he shouldn't have done that, thought it through, thought of what he could've just messed up - but it was too late for that now, and it was about time finally admitted how much he liked Hinata.

"I did - look, I'm sorry Hinata-'

Hinata smiled, cheeks clearly a little pinker. "It's okay, Kageyama, it was nice!"

Pausing, Kageyama looked the boy over again. "You sure?"

Hinata nodded his head rapidly, and as if to prove his point, reaching up to deliver a short kiss to Kageyama's nose, followed by a boop. "I mean yeah, would you not like it if your crush just kissed you?"

Kageyama smiled. "Well he just did, and I can say I enjoyed it."

Hinata giggled, pulling the other in for a hug. "I'm gla-" Hinata interrupted himself with a cute little sneeze, Kageyama pulling him closer to keep him warm. "Sorry! Glad, I'm glad. Let's go home, Kageyama."

Grabbing Hinata's hand a giving it a light squeeze, he smiled. "Yeah, let's go. You okay with a sleepover tonight?"

"I'm as okay as an ostrich!"

"I've never heard that saying before."

"Well, now you have, come on Kageyama, I wanna get meat buns on our way!"

x finished

im working on a sakuatsu i promise