♡ iwaoi - painkiller ♡

As sunny as the weather has been lately, Iwaizumi feels like layering even more than he did in the passing winter. It's not that the air feels cold, rather he feels cold and a 30 degree change in the weather isn't solving his problems.

It's been weeks, maybe, since he's really thought about himself, about Oikawa, about Makki, Mattsun, the team, his mom - his life in general. In those weeks he's stayed the same, following a routine he's set to keep the temperature decent while spring comes.

But now he's in a pit, because of some dumb song Oikawa had quoted. Oikawa'd been complaining about the lack of progress on his serve despite his hours of practice set to perfecting it, and when Iwaizumi was a good friend there to offer moral support, he'd quoted a line from 'Painkiller' by Ruel.

"Iwa-chan," he'd said, "You really are my painkiller, haha."

Iwaizumi had skeptically glanced at him, feeding his curiosity over his friend's unusual phrasing.

Oikawa sighed, "It's a song, Iwa-chan. It's like, 'you're my painkiller, when my brain gets bitter.' and I was just laughing cause you're my painkiller."

My, Iwaizumi recalled bitterly, I'm as much yours as you are mine, which it's your fault we're far from.

His fingers curled tightly around his phone, staring at the unsent messages to Oikawa.

Kawa? He'd sent, just below their previous conversation. After a few minutes, he'd sent again, Oikawa?

The little red dot made him scowl. Oikawa was supposed to be out with Makki and Mattsun, both of which were not answering either and it'd been far past 5 hours they'd been gone.

Please, He sent more desperately. He didn't know why - was he blocked? Did something happen, did they lose service?

Oikawa, miles away, also wasn't doing so peachy - his hands were bound to his knees to comfort himself as he sobbed from searing pain in his knee. His phone was next to him, broken, and papers were scattered around in a mess.

He'd been practicing, really, not out with his friends. They'd promised to cover for him so he could practice as Oikawa had guilted them into it just for a little time.

A little time turned to hours and he'd strained himself more than he needed to. The gym was silent apart from his whimpers and constant slaps to his knee trying to add pressure and alleviate the pain.

He groaned, upset, as he stared at the wall in front of him. I miss you but I'd rather be alone.

Melodies played through his head stubbornly as they had the past few hours. Someone told him once that you could hear the music your soulmate was listening to - how funny, maybe if he could consider them soulmates Iwaizumi was tuning in to the same song.

I'm looking for heartbreaks, headaches. The doctor says I'm diagnosed with shit days, mistakes, but I'll be fine.

But I'll be fine.

Iwaizumi sighed, annoyed, but more worried as he clicked off his phone. "But I'll be fine," he reminded himself, "but Oikawa is fine. He's probably fine."

Iwaizumi sank into his chair, groggily glaring at the piles of homework that've been piling up over the last few days. It's been hectic, busy, and he's been ignoring it but now maybe he needs an escape.

His brain blanked at the sight however, the words on the page making no sense as he reread them. "Scale...factor....a'?"

Nevermind, he thought, I'll do geometry another time.

Oikawa had always been the better one with numbers, passing all previous classes with ease and barely spending any time on homework. He'd normally send Iwaizumi his study cards, but considering no text of Iwaizumi's went through he'd figured Oikawa wouldn't be helping him with math anytime soon.