❆ daisuga - crimson coffee cups christmas morning ❆

Sugawara loved his job, he'd be lying if he said he didn't. He was fortunate his parents owned the small coffee shop, allowing him to work as a barista while earning his degree in teaching.

He was fond of most all aspects of the job - There were many windows, seeing as the shop was lit mainly by natural sources, the lights were only ever used the winter days the sun found it too much work to stay in the sky past 4pm. The smell he adored, fresh varieties of coffees and teas, cookies and cakes, and the occasional customer who clearly used expensive perfumes.

There was, although the number was small, a few things he disliked about his job - one thing being working Christmas morning. Being the only coffee shop in their area open on the holidays at all, he expected the building to be packed full of families, but alas, there was one single customer.

That customer happened to be someone he knew by the name of 'Daichi', most likely also a college student, seeing as every morning he was there - ordering the same black coffee and sandwich every time. He sat there, on the table closest to the barista station, laptop on the corner of the table while papers sprawled the rest of the space. Every morning, right as they opened at eight am, Daichi was the first to enter.

It was to the routine that Sugawara prepared the same thing each and every day before opening the doors, leaving on the counter because he knew, knew, nobody would be there before Daichi. Although he stopped himself Christmas morning, remembering that the boy most likely had plans and wouldn't be visiting their shop that day. He was certainly wrong.

Today was a little different still, however. Daichi came in, sat down, per usual, grabbed his wallet and handed Sugawara 7 dollars, the usual - all though today, he had no backpack in hand. Rather, he pulled his phone from his pockets, tapping occasionally whilst Sugawara prepared his coffee.

"Your order, Daichi."

Sugawara was tempted to ask why, why he was here, all on his own Christmas morning. Daichi noticed the hesitance, lifting his gaze to meet Sugawara's. "If you're wondering why, I figured you would get lonely."

Sugawara's mouth dried and he raised an eyebrow. "You came here Christmas morning because you thought I would be lonely?"

Daichi smiled and nodded, motioning towards the cup in his hands. "Yeah, that. And well, part of it is the coffee here is better than any other place but I well know one day wouldn't kill me."

Sugawara smiled back, and Daichi's eyes lit up. "Thank you."

Eyes still trained to the shorter boy's lips that still help their shape curled upwards, Daichi gave his best impression of an interested 'mhm'. Still, he looked up when Sugawara dropped the smile and replaced his thankful expression with a skeptical one.

"Sorry."

Sugawara laughed, and Daichi's heart melted all over again. "May I ask thy name, oh cute boy that works at the coffee shop?"

Sugawara laughed a little more, giving his brightest smile to the boy on the other side of the counter. "Koushi."

"Well hello Koushi, I'm Sawamura. But uh, you can just call me Daichi."

Sugawara nodded, handing the freshly brewed coffee to Daichi. "I've taken your order enough times to know your name. And uh, Koushi is my first name too - But I figured seeing as the shop is named after my family it would be easier to give you a name you wouldn't associate with coffee."

Daichi took the coffee, fingers tracing the white lip of the holiday themed cup absentmindedly as their conversation settled for a moment. "I think I'll still associate you with coffee, your eyes fit the description. They're lovely by the way."

"Yours are also brown."

Daichi nodded, sure both him and Sugawara shared brown eyes, but Sugawara's seemed impossibly prettier - although of course, Sugawara himself would write papers in disagreement.

"Yeah."

Sighing, Sugawara set the hot water he had just brewed on the counter, enjoying the warmth on his hands for a moment before slipping a tea bag in.

"Someone else stopping by?"

Shaking his head, Sugawara set the tea on the side of the table opposite Daichi. "Nah, I figured I'd join you for a bit, considering nobody else is coming in."

Finally sipping his coffee, Daichi raised an eyebrow. "This isn't what you normally make me?"

Sheepishly smiling as he rubbed the back of his head, Sugawara pointed to the bag on the counter, clearly not the regular green tin normally used. "It's a fancier coffee, and don't worry about the cost. It's kinda stupid expensive but if you don't like it I can make you the regular."

"No, this is good for now. Thanks."

"I should be the one thanking you. I appreciate you coming in for me."

"No problem."

Nobody came in for the rest of Sugawara's shift - something he was grateful for, meaning he had the few hours to chat with the stranger it felt like he'd known for years.

"So, cute coffee boy, can I get your number?"

Snapping his head back towards Daichi, Sugawara giggled and pulled out a napkin from the stand. "Only on one condition."

Daichi raised an eyebrow. "And that is..?"

"Take me on a date in a few days."

Daichi frowned. "On second thought- No, I'm just teasing, that's a deal!"

(So maybe, Oikawa took a few pictures while he was sneaking in the backdoor for his shift. What could he say, they were a cute couple.)

x finished

hehe there might be a little iwaoi in between all the requested ships ;) but im working on them i promise!! T-T