3. Call.

A loud thud against the front door makes me turn and look out of the kitchen and into the living room. Wait, is that Clay? I quickly dry my hands and make my way over. When I open the door to the hallway the doorbell rings. I open it to see Clay with a red spot on his jaw and grazes of his hands 'What happened?' I ask as I take his hand and look at the grazes. 'I tripped.' He say shyly. 'Are you okay?' I ask as I look at the open box and things on the doorstep. 'Yeah.' He chuckles. 'You sure?' I ask as I turn a little to look at his jaw. It's not bad, but still. 'Yeah, I thought there were two steps but I was wrong.' He says as he scratches his neck. I giggle before kneeling down to gather the things that fell out of the box. 'Not funny.' He says as I still chuckle. 'Alright, just don't fall again.' I say.

'Well, that was one embarrassing second meeting.' He says as we both carry a box inside. 'Oh it's alright.' I say. 'Easy for you to say.' He says.

After he left my mom calls.

'Hi Hunny!'
'Hey mom. You're calling late, isn't it like, midnight over there?'
'Yeah, but I wanted to talk to you for a bit.'
'Ahw, we'll here I am. I missed you.'
'I missed you too Hunny. How have things been? Has anyone answered on the add?'
'Actually, yes. I have a new roommate!'
'Really! That's great, what's her name?'
'Clay.'

I stay quiet as the other side of the phone stays silent of a bit as well.

'Her name is Clay?'

The confusion in her voice makes me unable to hold my laugh.

'His name is Clay.'
'Wait, your new roommate is a man?'
'Yes, mom.'
'Are you sure that a good idea Hunny? Is he nice? He wont do anything bad to you, right?'
'It's okay mom, I've spoken to him a couple of times now and he's very kind and funny, I'm sure he's alright.'

I try to calm her as best as possible, knowing she doesn't trust anyone and still thinks that I'm 12.

'Are you sure?'
'Yes, as sure as I can be. I'll ask him to show himself when he lives here and we're calling.'
'That would be nice. I just don't like the idea of my little girl living with a man she doesn't know.'
'I'm turning 20 in one month mom.'
'I know, but still, I don't know him, and you don't know him.'
'He has a cat.'
'That's nice.'

I smile at the distraction.

'How have things been over there?'
'Your sister is coming over soon, I'll be going with her.'
'That's good, I'm happy for you.'
'Yes, she's been talking about getting a Visa for me so we can come visit you someday.'
'Really?! That would be amazing!'

She chuckles at my happiness

'I know. And I want to go as soon as possible to meet that new roommate guy of yours.'
'Alright, making it less fun, now.'
'I'm kidding, though I will check him.'
'He's fine!'
'My mom instincts will tell.'
'Wow I'm sure they will.'

I laugh at her comment.

'Well I'm glad you're doing well. I'm going to sleep, try to get your roommate on FaceTime with you sometime.'
'I will try. Goodnight, mom.'
'Goodnight Hunny!'

She hangs up and I lay my phone down next to me before smiling and laughing.

She's something from time to time.