71. Visit

The nurse walks in, taking the phone from her ear and handing it over.
'Clay?'
I can hear him letting out a breath on the other side of the line.
'I'm here Clay. I'm okay.'
There's silence, followed by a soft sniffle.
'Don't be greedy, I want to hear you too.'
A soft chuckle.
'Hey.'
He sounds upset, and I frown at the sound.

'Are you okay?' I ask him. 'You are asking me?' He asks. 'You're the one that got shot.' He says. 'I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to drag you into this.' I say. 'Shut up. It's not like you asked for this either.' I stay quiet, closing my eyes. There's a silence over the phone. I'm about to drift off to sleep but clays voice pulls me away from sleep. 'I'll come over when it's visiting hour tomorrow. Get some sleep.' He says. 'Okay.' I say. 'Alright. Hang in there, I'll see you soon.'

We hang up and I go to sleep.

When I wake up it's dark out. The pain in my chest is getting worse. The throbbing aches in my chest keeps me from falling asleep. I groan and shift and the pain. I'm not supposed to be here. I'm supposed to be able to quietly go over to clays room and lay down next to him. I'm supposed to go with him when he meets up with his siblings and parents. I'm supposed to be on the other side of this hospital bed. Not in it.

Slowly dawn comes, and as soon it does, the nurses are up and around. 'Good morning!' A older woman says. She check my blood pressure and heartbeat.

It seems ages before I hear familiar voices in the hallway. Mom and Kim are here too. 'You can go in first.' Mom. Says outside my door. I wait for the first person to step in.

It's Clay.

I smile at him as he walk in and smiles back. He looks exhausted, small eyes and dark circles. 'I lived bitch.' I say to try and cheer him up. He doesn't laugh but scoffs while smiling. He holds my face in his big hand and lays his forehead against mine. 'I want to come home.' I say. 'You can't yet. Heal up and rest here.' He says. 'But it's boring here. At least at home you are running around.' I say. He kisses my cheek before looking me in my eyes and brushing his thumb over my cheek. 'Heal up first.' He says. I lay my hand on his shoulder and try to move forward a little 'give me...' he chuckles and leans closer so I try to stop and reach him. 'Gimme?' I give him puppy eyes. He kisses my forehead before moving back. 'Your mother is here with your sister.' He says before standing up.

They come inside and my mom is about to fling herself at me, but embraces me softly. 'My baby.' She says. I can hear she's on the verge of tears. I smile at Kim as she nervously waits for her turn. 'I'm alright.' I say as I hug Mom back. She pulls back and wipes her eyes before grabbing onto Clay, catching him in surprise as Kim hugs me. 'Hey sis.' I say as I hug her back. She squeezes me a little tighter but still manages to not hurt me. 'We were so scared. I'm sorry for what happened.' She says. 'You don't have to be.' I say as she lets me go and sits down next to the bed. Mom is still wiping away tears as she clings to clays arm, wanting to hold on to someone.

They all sit down and Mom hold my hand tightly. 'How are you feeling?' She asks. 'High on pain meds.' I say. Mom is still holding on to Clay, so I chuckle, trying not to flinch too obviously. 'You're going to break his arm at some point.' I say. She lets his go and pats his arm where she was holding him. 'I heard you two are staying at our place.' I say as I look between mom and Kim. Mom nods. 'He offered it. He's staying with his family.' Kim explains. I look at Clay and he gives me an unconvincing smile. 'That's nice of you.' I say. He nods.

They stay as long as they can.
Clay is about to walk out after them but turns back. 'I brought something.' He says as he quickly walks over again. He pulls something out of the pocket of his hoodie. He opens his hand to reveal the small rose. I smile as I look at the glinstering glass on the palm of his hand. I pretend to grab it, but grab his hand instead. I start to pull, wanting him to come closer. He avoids me perfectly, but I manage to kiss his cheek. 'Thank you.' I say softly as I take the glass rose from him.

He waves before walking out.
I smile as I play with the beautifully shaped glass in my hand.