10. Stepping in.

Nicks step-mom pulls me aside as Nick takes Clay with him.

'Clay's a nice guy.' She says. 'He is.' I agree. She looks at me and narrows her eyes. 'Who is He to you?' She asks. 'He's my roommate.' I say. 'Oh really?' I nod as I watch the garden full of people. 'He must be a good roommate.' She says. Now I'm getting a little suspicious. 'Why?' I ask. She grins 'a handsome young man your age, I'm just seeing wether or not you... ya know.' She says. I laugh 'god no.' She shrugs a little. Nicks sisters come walking up, both looking happy. 'Where have you been so longggg' the youngest one says to me, making me chuckle. 'Working.' I say. 'Grown ups are boring.' She says. 'That's mean.' I say as I push her shoulder a little, getting a giggle. The other sister is look in the direction of Clay. I knew she had a crush on the guy called Dream, but I bet she knows Clay is him. 'It's nice to see both of you.' I say. She turns her attention to me and smiles a smile way to similar to Nicks.

After talking to them for a while, I walk around trying to find Nick or Clay.
'Hey Amelia.' I look in the direction of my name to see Nicks step-brother. 'Oh hey Eric.' I say. He smiles. 'How have you been?' He asks. Something about him always makes me a little uncomfortable. 'I've been well, how are you?' I ask. 'Better now that you're here.' He says. I hold the fake smile on as I cringe on the inside. 'It's a big party.' I say as I look around. The guy is a year older then Nick, like me and Clay. Nick doesn't like him, which automatically moved to Clay not liking him. 'You know my family, always going big.' He says. I nod and break eye contact. It only results to him stepping closer. 'I do hope you're enjoying yourself.' He says. 'Uhm, I was just looking for Nick.' I say. 'You like my brother?' He asks. 'Couldn't have met a better man then him. He's nice.' I say as I take a small step back, only having him move forward. 'Sure, Sure. He wouldn't be fit as your boyfriend, now, would he?' He asks. I don't like his tone. 'He could get someone better.' I say to avoid the question. I don't like Nick like that, he's like a brother. But saying no to that question would just be harsh. He moves closer, holding my lower arm 'could you please take a step back, you're too close.' I say. He moves even closer 'you don't mind do you.' He says as his other hand goes to my waist. Before it does I grab it and dig my nails in his skin, feeling nervous and uncomfortable.

I feel a hand on my lower back and quickly look at who is there. 'She told you you were too close, take a few steps back.' Clay says as he protectively stands by my side. 'You're the one touching her.' Eric points out. Clay moves his hand but stays close to my side. 'What's going on here?' Nick asks as he walks up. Not wanting to ruin his day I fake the best smile I can and walk over to him 'I was just asking where you were!' I say as I grab his arm and walk closer to him. 'Well I'm here! Is there something you need?' He asks as I glance back to see Clay walk away from Eric with a mad expression. One that I haven't seen on him before. 'No, no, just missing Your familiar face.' I say. 'Ahw, if you're too uncomfortable you can head home, I'm happy everyone saw you for a bit.' He says as Clay follows us. 'Thank you Nick.' I say as we stop walking. 'Come over to my place sometime, I missed hanging out with you.' I say. 'I did too! We'll hang out again soon.' He says as we hug. His broad shoulders make every hug a bear hug, surrounding me in warmth. 'Say bye to your dad for me.' I say. 'I will.' He says with a smile. 'We leaving?' Clay asks. I nod.

He says bye to Nick too and we walk out, my steps quick as I shudder for a moment. 'Amelia, slow down.' I stop at the car and wait for Clay to unlock it but he doesn't. He walks up and looks down at me with a concerned look. 'Please open the car.' I say softly as I avoid eye contact. He doesn't seem to want to, but he gets the key and the car beeps. I turn around and sit down in the passengers seat. Clay gets in on the other side.

'What did he try to do?' He ask as he starts on our way back. 'I don't know.' I say. 'You should have slapped him.' He says. A smile creeps onto my face. 'Thank you for stepping in.' I say. 'Anytime.' He says.

The drive back is quiet as I try to take in the only noise that fills the air. The low rumbling of the engine of the car. Needing to calm down from the chatty family and all the hugs and pats.