87. Bridge.

No more hugs, no more being close or eating dinner together. No watching movies or series till late at night together. It's been three weeks since the first date he had and he's been gone a lot. Which I thought was the worst part, but I was mistaking.

'I asked her to come over tomorrow.' Clay says as he walks into the living room. 'Over. Like, over here?' I ask. 'Yeah.' He says as he sits down on the couch.

Are you fucking kidding.

'You know I'm home right, I don't have to work tomorrow.' I say. 'Yes I know.' He says. 'Then....' I bite back the words as I get up, unlocking my phone and going to my uncle's number. 'Then what?' He asks confused. I dial my uncles number.

'Amelia!'

His exited and happy voice sounds through the phone, making me nearly tear up at how broken I feel compared to him.

'Could I stay over for a night or two?'
'Of course! You haven't been over for a while.'
'I know, sorry about that.'
'Don't worry kiddo. You are always welcome.'

I close my eyes tightly.

'I know, thank you.'
'See you soon then.'
'Yes. Bye.'
'Bye bye.'

I hang up.

'Why are you leaving?' Clay asks. 'Does it matter?' I ask as I wal' to the door that leads to the hallway. 'Yes it does. Is something wrong?' He asks. 'I'm just staying somewhere else for a night.' I say. 'Yes I heard that. Where are you going?' He asks as he gets up. 'Why do you care.' I state as I open the door. 'Come on.' He says as he grabs my hand to stop me. I pull my hand back. 'Can't do that to a friend, remember. Can't get that close.' I say, getting back at him with his own line. 'What is This about?' He asks. 'I have a question for you.' I say. 'Okay.'

'You know how when you're in a car and it's pouring down rain, you go under a bridge and everything stops?' I ask.

He nods 'yes.' He says.

'Everything stops. Everything goes silent and it's almost peaceful. Then you get from under the bridge, and everything hits you a little harder than before.' I say.

He nods again.

'You were my bridge.'

I look away and walk on, heading upstairs.

You were my moment of peace.
And I let myself think it would stay that way.

Yet now everything hits,
Looking like it's hitting me harder then before.

That.
Is what's going on.