9. Happy hugs.

Clay comes back downstairs after two hours. 'How was it?' I ask. 'I won.' He says. 'Won what?' I ask. 'Manhunt.' I look at him, not really knowing what he means by that. He explains it to me.

'So you're good at it then?' I ask as I lean back into the couch, watching him. He chuckles 'well.... kinda.' He says. 'Oh don't be like that. If you win nearly every time, you must be good.' I say. He's smiling and looking down at my words. 'Maybe.' He says. 'At least I get the weird things I hear you say a little more.' He chuckles again. 'I hear you yelling kiss me George and, just tell me you love me, a little too often.' I say laughing. 'Yeah.'

'I have a birthday thing from Nicks step-mom soon.' I say. 'Me too.' Clay says. As I expected. 'We can go together.' I say. 'Sure.'

And so we do.
Two weeks later, we're in the car, Clay driving. His hair is done neatly, making him look very different from the usual fluffy waves. 'What are you staring at?' He asks as he glances at me. 'Your hair is....' he raises his eyebrow as he glances at me again 'is....' he says. 'Weird.' He scoffs before laughing a little. 'It's...' I reach and pat his hair, making him move away. The gel or wax in it made it hard. 'And why is it weird?' He asks. 'It's so different.' I say. 'Yeah well this is fancy me, deal with it.' He says. 'I didn't say it was bad.' I say as I look at the road ahead. I can see him glance at me again.

At the place we get out and head in together. Nick meets eyes with me and walks over excitedly. 'Hey! I'm glad you both made it.' He says. He wraps me in a a bear hug, squeezing me a little. I giggle 'hi Nick.' I say. He lets me go and hugs Clay as well. 'Well come on in.' He says as we follow him inside. Clay and me follow Nick further inside. 'Are we late?' I ask as I lean closer to Clay so he can hear me while I talk quietly. 'We're not but for some reason we are.' He says back. I move away a little and look around. A lot of strangers. So I move back to Clay a little.

'Oh! You two remember my aunt Mira right?' Nick says as he stops next to her with an adorable smile that makes me smile. I do remember the woman. 'Oh dear! How pretty you are.' The aunt says as he holds both my shoulders. 'It's good to see you again Mira.' I say. She smiles. 'Are you still not together with Nick?' She asks as she moves in a little closer. Her being close to my face makes me a little uncomfortable, but I stay in place. 'I'm not.' I say. She pouts at me before looking at Clay. 'Did you find another handsome man?' She asks as she squeezes Clays arm. 'Not exactly.' I say again as Clay chuckles. Mira pats his face before looking him over 'You sure?' She asks as she still stand in front of him but looks at me now. I chuckle 'Yeah.' I say.

Nick walks up next to me and leads me to him father, leaving poor Clay with the aunt.

'Amelia!' His father says. Nick definitely has his personality form his dad. I smile 'hello.' I hold out my hand for a handshake but he grabs it to pull me in for a hug, making me laugh. 'It's been long! How are ya kid?' He asks as he lets me go. 'I'm alright, thanks. How is everything over here?' I ask. 'Just lovely! My wife is getting another year older, don't tell her.' He says. I chuckle 'I'll try not to.' I say. He smiles at me and pats my arm before Nick drags me further.

'Nick, do you have a girlfriend?' A man and woman walk up closer to us. 'Oh no, this is my best friend, Amelia.' Nick says. I shake the peoples hands. 'How nice, have you known each other long?' They ask. 'Three years now.' Nick answers, having me nod. 'That's a long time! Where did you two meet then?' All these questions. 'We went to the same gym for a while.' I say. 'Oh!'

When they seem done talking we head further, I see Clay getting pat on his shoulder before getting pulled in for a hug, making me hold my laugh. These people Sure like hugs. He meets my eyes, making me giggle a little.

'Oh even Amelia came!' Nicks step-mom says. I smile at her before briefly hugging. 'Happy birthday Mira.' I say as I hand her a card and some Dutch candies she loves. 'Oh thank you dear, that's very sweet of you.' She says with a smile as she opens the package and eats one. I chuckle 'these always do good, don't they?' I ask. 'Well of course. I'll just have to hide them from my husband.' She says as she puts them on the table behind her and slides the out of view. I laugh 'I suggest in the laundry basket.' I say. 'Good one.' She says with a thumbs up.

Someone stops really close next to me, making me look up a little irritated. 'Happy birthday Mira! I hope you have a lovely birthday.' Clay says. I sigh, happy to have him around, seeing how Nick disappeared. 'Thank you dear, that's very nice of you.' She says as she takes the present from him.

Someone bumps into me, making me bump into Clay. He holds my arm and waist as he stands behind me. once I'm in balance, he lets go. 'Sorry.' I say as I feel my face heat up a bit. That was embarrassing. Nicks mom eyes us suspiciously.