167.

When home I stare at the garden in silence.

Words told by people that have fought for their life comes to me again.
You may come home, but you'll never leave the war.

I hold my hands over where the baby is.
Oh darling, do you feel the bitter world?
This is what I need to protect you from, and I don't know if I can.

A big hand joins my own before I feel a chest press against my back.
I can't protect him, I can't do this is all that wants to leave my lips.

But it's my job to do this, and to do it right.
Because my hand over the baby, and clays hand over mine says enough.
We will protect this boy till the very end, and I don't have to do it alone.

'We can fight this war, and we can win.'
Clays gentle lips press to the skin on my shoulder.
'Yes we can.'

'Clay! Be careful.'
He nearly stumbles over a bucket of paint, making me laugh.
He looks up at me with a goofy grin as drops of a light blue green color cover his face.
Paint covers his clothes and hands, and he made sure to stick a handprint on the back of my pants.

'It's fine! It didn't tip over.'
He laughs lightly as the tin can of paint shakes on the floor, showing that it was a close call.
'Barely.' I say before he points at me with a paint brush 'but it didn't.'

I shake my head and chuckle
'Fine.'

We dance and ugly sing along to the radio as we paint the room, sun shining into the room and warming it too much.
When it's five pm Clay goes downstairs to get something to drink as I keep going.

Though when he comes back, a cold can gets pressed against the back of my neck, making me jump.
'Shit.' I hiss as I move away from the can. Clay laughs to himself. 'What about ordering pizza?' Clay asks.

I think for a second.
'Can I have chicken nuggets?'
Clay smiles, nods, and pulls out his phone.

I take a few sips from his Can as he calls and orders our food.

When he's done, he plops down on the ground where he's standing and holds out his hand for me. I chuckle and walk over, getting pulled down as well.
Yet now on the hard wood floor.

He sits crossed legged and makes me sit down in the little circle they form.
'Hi.' He says with a bright smile.

I smile back and moves my hands up to gently scratch the back of his neck, getting a shiver back for it as his eyes close. 'I'm happy that you're here.' I say.

His eyes open and he smiles softly.
'Me too.'