70.

As if I'm in a fever dream.

The scream I want to let out doesn't reach my lips. The white lights and white ceiling of the hospital. 'Put her under.'
I slip away again. Egotistically hoping Its the last time. That this is the end. Stopping the pain.

Steady beeping reaches my ears.
'The girl is now fighting for her life as her father is put on trial....'
Head aching. Chest burning.

The beeping gets on my nerves, and the only thing I can do is groan at the sound as I try to open my eyes. 'Miss Harris, are you awake?' A female asks. I move my mouth to talk, but not much comes out. I get my eyes to open a little. A blurry image appearing. 'H....' I strain to talk. My eyes seem stuck. 'Help....' the word is soft and breathy, but I feel a hand on my arm to let me know the woman is there. 'Ey-eye.....' I let out another sound as I try to shift. Cold fingers gently tap my eyelids before they get wiped with a wet cloth. The coldness letting me open my eyes.

I hum in satisfaction and smile at the kind nurse that seems young. She smiles back 'good to see you awake.' She says. I mumble out words that were meant to say..... whatever I meant. 'How are you feeling?' The nurse asks. I'm a little out of it still. 'Hmmm.' She pick up the glass of water next to my bed and brings it to my lips. I take a sip, noticing how dry my mouth was. I can feel the cold water making its way down. Yet now my voice works better. 'Thank you.' Its still harsh. She smiles and sets the glass down. 'There was a man waiting with you. I told him to go home an hour or so ago.' She says. I raise my eyebrow. 'Uhm... tall.' She starts as she shows it with her hand. I would have laughed at the fact that she stood on her tippy toes to show how tall he is. 'Green eyes, blond.' She says. 'Clay.' I say. 'Yeah, that's right.' She says. 'How... is He?' I ask.

She gives me a sad smile as he moves the blankets on my bed to straighten them, feeling like she needs to do something. 'He didn't leave the first... twenty? Twenty hours. He was very upset.' She says. My chest aches. Upset or just pain. 'Can I... c-call him?' I ask. 'In a bit. We'll call him first. To tell him you woke up, we'll hand the phone to you then.' She explains as I see a head pop into the room. The recognizable uniform of the ambulance crew. I nod at the nurse as my uncle steps in, looking happy to see me awake, but still upset. 'Hey.' I say. He takes my hand and sits down next to the bed.

'You're Okay.' He says. Okay may be a overstatement at the moment. But sure, let's go with that. 'I'm alive~' I say as I wiggle my eyebrows, trying not to fall back asleep. He chuckles 'still woke up an idiot I see.' He says. 'You know me.' I mumble back. 'We're all very worried.' Dennis says. 'All?' I ask. 'I called you mother and sister. And the guy that was already with you was worried too.' I nod my head. 'How is Mom?' I ask. 'On her way here.' He says. 'Wha-' I suck in a breath at the pain, only to have that make it worse. 'She wanted to come. Kim is coming too.' He says. 'But what...' I need to catch my breath. 'The guy.. Uhm, Clay, if I remember correctly, offered them to stay in your place.' He says. 'He did?' I ask. Dennis nods. A beeper goes off, signaling him that he's needed. 'I'll see you soon, okay. Hang in there.' He says. 'Thank you for... for coming.' I say. 'Of course.' He pats my head before walking out.