39. Answer.

Clay stops in his tracks before he reaches the door of the hallway.

'I'm sorry, what?' I ask with a nervous chuckle.
Please tell me I heard that wrong.

'I bet you heard the first time.' Chase says with a confident smile.
I quickly glance at Clay, who is already looking at me when I do.
He looks away quickly and makes his way out of the room.

I sigh and lower my gaze to Pebbles who is sleeping calmly on the couch. Not having a trouble in her little life.

I clench my jaw before looking up to meet his eyes, apologetic look on my face.
I know I don't want to say yes. He's not my type. And even if he is, he has some bad traits.
I can't say yes. For the sake of wanting to protect myself.

'You know I can't say yes to that.'

He takes a last big swig of the coffee before setting the cup down and standing up.
His visit is short lived.

'Fair enough.' He says as he puts on his jacket again.
I look at him and sigh. 'I'm sorry.' I say.

'Don't be, you must have someone already.' He says,

Not exactly.
I just have a roommate who asked the exact same thing.

'I... I don't.' I say,
knowing that must make it worse for him.

He nods 'well thanks for the coffee. I'll see myself out.'

I hear the  front door close and I sigh, plopping down onto the couch.
Heavy, in a way angry, footsteps make their way down the stair.

'What the hell was that?' Clay asks as he steps in, accidentally hitting the door against the wall behind it. 'That was a friend with a question.' I answer. It is. Yet my answer is a little bratty. 'Okay smart ass. So I take it he was the reason you didn't say yes to me yesterday. You like him better.' He says. He seems irritated and angry. 'Cause he's oh so lovely, right?' He asks. I hold back the chuckle 'Clay-' 'no, I already know that that's why.' He says. He rambles on

'Clay!' I say loudly as I stand up. 'So I bet you won't be home for dinner tomorrow.' He grumbles. I now chuckle and hold both his arms 'I said no.' I say. He seems surprised 'oh.' Suddenly the anger is gone. 'Really?' He asks confused. I chuckle and let his arms go. 'Yeah.' I say. 'Oh I....' he scratches the back of his neck. 'So you can calm down, sir.' I say. He moves to sit down as well. 'So you're not going on a date with him?' He asks as I pick up my cup of tea and hold it between my hands to warm them. I shake my head no. 'Because you don't like him?' He asks. 'Exactly.' I answer.

'Well this is awkward.'

I laugh a little and look up at him.
'It is a little.' I say.

He lets out a laugh as well.

'And besides that...' I start

'I will be your Valentine.'