47. At the door.

I lay awake in bed. I tried to go to sleep early tonight, but I can't seem to stop the memories and thoughts.

I slip out off bed and head down the dark hallway and stairs. The door between the hall downstairs and the living room gives away that the lights are on on the other side. The muffled sounds of the tv coming through as well. I softly open the door and step inside. Just pajama shorts and an oversized shirt on. Barefoot, I am really quiet, but Clay hears the door close and he looks over his shoulder. 'Hey.' He says. I warp my arms around myself, being cold because I was warmer under the sheets. I quietly plop down next to Clay. 'Cant sleep?' He asks as he moves his arm off of the back of the couch. 'No.' I say quietly. He's watching some sort of movie in the dimly lit living room. He gets up and goes to the kitchen.

After a bit he comes back with a cup of tea. I smile softly as I take the warm cup. He wraps me in a soft blanket before sitting back down where he sat earlier. I feel like a kid who came downstairs after bed time because they felt sick or couldn't sleep. It's weird. We both quietly watch the movie as I sip my tea. I taste honey and it makes me smile and look at Clay. 'You knew?' I ask. 'Hmm?' He hums before turning to look at me. 'Honey.' I say. He smiles a little. 'Yeah, you prefer honey instead of sugar in your tea right?' He asks. I nod with a smile before taking another sip. When I finished the tea I put in onto the coffee table.

My eyes are heavy by now. And as time goes on, my head gets heavy too. I move a bit closer to Clay and lay my head on his shoulder. Getting greeted my warmth and a by now slightly familiar smell.

I wake up in bed.
It's still dark out.

Knocking.

I shoot up.

The doorbell rings before there's a knock again.

Panic raises in me. Is that him? Is that Liam?
I quickly get out and hurry to Clay's room.

02:14 am

I knock on the door multiple times.
'Yeah?'
Clays voice is rough.
I open the door a little to see Clay looking at me with tired eyes.
The doorbell rings again and I quickly glance back down the dark hallway.

'Who is it?' Clay asks in his morning voice. I walk over to his window after closing his bedroom door.

'Amelia!'

The voice is muffled and far, but my hand stops as it reaches for the curtain. 'Is it him?' Clay asks. I nod my head as I do not dare to move. More banging on the front door sounds. 'Amelia open the door!' Clay gets up behind me. I hear my phone ring in my own room. 'Go see who's calling.' Clay says. I hurry to my phone and see that it's Sierra, my neighbor. I answer the call.

'I'm sorry to call this late, but there's a man outside your door.'
'I know, I'm sorry it's disturbing you.'

I hear her new born baby cry in the background.

'Its okay, but he's going to wake up the whole neighborhood like this.'
'I know, I...'
'Is something wrong, Amelia? Do we need to call cops?'
'No. No it's okay. I'll handle it.'
'Alright. Just checking. Call me if you need help.'
'Thank you. Sorry about disturbing y-'

The doorbell makes me jump.

'Its alright, goodnight.'
'Goodnight.'

I hang up and hurry back to Clays room. I'm clutching the phone in my hand. 'I need to go down and tell him to stop yelling, he's waking the neighbors.' I say. 'No.' Clay says. 'Stay here, I'll tell him to get lost.' Clay says as he throws on a hoodie. He makes his way down as I bite my lip nervously.

Please let this go okay.