𝚎𝚙𝚒𝚜𝚘𝚍𝚎 𝚎𝚕𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗 - 𝚜𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚑 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚢

𝙴𝙿𝙸𝚂𝙾𝙳𝙴 𝙴𝙻𝙴𝚅𝙴𝙽 - 𝚂𝙴𝙰𝚁𝙲𝙷 𝙿𝙰𝚁𝚃𝚈

It was beginning to get dark as everyone was still scavenging cars and Dale was fixing the RV. Carol was still waiting for Rick and Daryl to get back, hopefully with Sophia. Madelyn couldn't imagine what Carol must have been going through. Sophia was lost in the woods by herself in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. She was only a child.

"Hey Carol." Madelyn said as she went over to her.

"It's getting dark." Carol said.

"They'll find her." Madelyn said. "I know they will. I found out that Daryl's an excellent tracker. I'm sure she'll be found in no time." Carol sighed and nodded before looking at the trees, hoping to find the guys with her daughter.

"Oh god, they're back." Glenn said, making everyone look back to see Rick and Daryl return, but Sophia was nowhere in sight.

"You didn't find her?" Carol whimpered.

"Her trail went cold. We'll pick it up again at first light." Rick said.

"You can't leave my daughter out there on her own, to spend the night alone in the woods." Carol said.

"Out in the dark's no good." Daryl said. "We'd just be tripping over ourselves. More people get lost."

"She's twelve. She can't be out there on her own." Carol said. "You didn't find anything?"

"Hey, it's gonna be okay." Madelyn whispered to Carol soothingly, rubbing her arms to try and keep her calm. She couldn't imagine the fear Carol was experiencing.

"I know this is hard, but I'm asking you not to panic." Rick said. "We know she was out there."

"And we tracked her for a while." Daryl said.

"We have to make this an organised effort. Daryl knows the woods better than anybody. I've asked him to oversee this." Rick said to the group.

"Is that...is that blood?" Carol asked, pointing to Daryl's pants.

"Oh my god, are you okay?" Madelyn asked.

"I'm fine, Maddie." Daryl said, making Madelyn smile a little. Looks like they were both now on a nickname basis.

"He took down a walker." Rick explained.

"A walker? Oh god." Carol sighed.

"There was no sign it was ever anywhere near Sophia." Rick said.

"How can you know that?" Andrea asked.

"We cut the son of a bitch open." Daryl said. "Made sure."

"How could you just leave her out there to begin with?" Carol asked Rick. "How could you just leave her?"

"Those two walkers were on us." Rick said. "I had to draw them off. It was her best chance."