𝚎𝚙𝚒𝚜𝚘𝚍𝚎 𝚜𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗 - 𝚗𝚘 𝚑𝚞𝚜𝚋𝚊𝚗𝚍, 𝚗𝚘 𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚍

𝙴𝙿𝙸𝚂𝙾𝙳𝙴 𝚂𝙸𝚇𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽 - 𝙽𝙾 𝙷𝚄𝚂𝙱𝙰𝙽𝙳, 𝙽𝙾 𝙲𝙷𝙸𝙻𝙳

𝙻𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚂𝚊𝚖𝚎 𝙳𝚊𝚢

It was a little while later after the shooting of the walkers at the barn. After all the bodies had been burned and buried, Madelyn found a little area not too far from the farm to just sit. As she sat, she started tearing up and her small cries turned into heavy sobs. Seeing all those walkers, it reminded her of her dead husband, her dead child. Her family were probably most likely dead as well. These walkers killed everyone Madelyn loved. Sure, she kept a smile on her face but that didn't mean that she wasn't hurting. Of course she was hurting. Walkers killed everyone's loved ones. Everyone was suffering and it hurt so much.

"I miss you so much, Landon. I miss you so much." Madelyn whispered as she looked up at the sky that was getting dark.

Meanwhile, not too far away, Daryl was sat whittling some more arrows for his crossbow when he heard Madelyn's soft sobs. He looked around and saw her sitting against a tree trunk, looking up at the sky. Without even thinking, Daryl got up and with his knife and arrow, went over to Madelyn.

"Madelyn?" He asked, making her quickly wipe her face before looking at Daryl.

"Daryl? Is everything okay?" Madelyn sniffed as she tried to mask the hurt in her voice..

"I should be asking you that." Daryl said as he sat down next to her.

"I'm sorry you found Sophia like that. I know how badly you wanted to find her. You dedicated all your time into looking for her and to find her...as a walker." Madelyn said.

"I just...I can't believe it." Daryl said. "I was so close! So close!"

"Hey, it's okay. It's okay." Madelyn said.

"Why you so upset?" Daryl asked.

"Nothing...just...every time I see walkers, I see Landon getting eaten alive. I think of my-" Madelyn said before stopping.

"Your what?" Daryl asked.

"I...I think of my unborn son." Madelyn barely whispered, shocking Daryl. That was something he was not expecting at all.

"You...you had a son?" Daryl asked.

"That's what Landon and I found out. I was six months pregnant at the time when everything happened. We found out we were having a little boy. We were so excited, especially Landon. He couldn't wait to teach our son soccer, take him to see baseball games, teach him how to ride a bike." Madelyn said with a small smile. "We were starting our own little family. We had everything we had ever hoped and prayed for. Now, it's all gone. After Landon's death, I...I miscarried. But...it's better this way. Raising a child in a world like this...without its father...I wouldn't be able to do it. I just pray that Landon and our baby are at peace together. That's all I ask for."

Daryl looked at Madelyn, stunned. Madelyn had been through the absolute worst but she managed to hold herself together. Daryl couldn't have been more in love with Madelyn. He knew he was in love. He knew he wanted to marry Madelyn one day. As soon as he pulled that wedding ring from that walker, Daryl just knew he loved her. He knew there was no-one else in the world like her, that there was no-one else for him.

Daryl reached out and took her hand in his, surprising Madelyn slightly. She thought of Daryl as a pretty closed off guy but she was glad he was comforting her, that he felt comfortable with her. She smiled at him a little and rested her head on his shoulder, their hands intertwined as they leaned on the tree trunk. They felt as if their hands moulded perfectly together, almost as if they were made for each other.

"You would have been a good mother. Much better than mine, I'm sure." Daryl said, making Madelyn laugh as she lifted her head from Daryl's shoulder.

"Thanks, I think." She said before leaving a light kiss on Daryl's cheek, giving him butterflies in his stomach. He had been kissed on the cheek before by previous girlfriends he had but this one felt different. It felt...real. Before Daryl could say anything, the pair were approached by Carol, causing Madelyn to pull her hand away from Daryl's.

"We can't find Lori, and the others aren't back yet either." Carol said, making Daryl frown. Every time he saw Carol, he was reminded of Sophia and how she was lost and now, she was dead. Daryl was pissed. Every time he saw Carol's face, it made him angry.

"What? Where did they all go?" Madelyn asked, a little concerned.

"That dumb bitch must've gone off looking for him." Daryl said.

"Daryl! What the hell?" Madelyn asked, wondering why his mood did a one-eighty.

"She asked me to go. I told her I was done being an errand boy." Daryl said.

"What is going on?" Madelyn asked.

"Beth went into some kind of shock and Hershel was nowhere to be found so Rick and Glenn went to look for him. I guess Lori went looking for all three." Carol said.

"Daryl, how could you say that to her? Lori is pregnant." Madelyn said, making both Daryl and Carol look at her in shock.

"Huh?" Daryl asked.

"Lori's pregnant and you let her go? You didn't say anything?" Carol asked.

"I didn't know she was pregnant, lady." Daryl said. "And look at you concerned about Lori. If you spent half your time minding your daughter's business instead of sticking your nose in everybody else's, she'd still be alive."

"Daryl-"

"Don't, Madelyn. Let him vent." Carol said as Daryl stood up.

"What vent? Man, just go!" Daryl exclaimed. "I don't want you here. You're a real piece of work, lady. What? You going to make this about my daddy or some crap like that? Lady, you don't know jack. You ain't got no problem. Sophia wasn't mine. All you had to do was keep an eye on her! You know what? You're afraid. You're afraid because you're all alone. You've got no husband, no child. You don't know what to do with yourself."

"Daryl!" Madelyn yelled, standing up. Daryl turned around, realising what he just said. Carol's situation and Madelyn's situation was the same. They both lost their husbands. They both lost a child and Daryl straight up yelled at Carol for doing that straight after Madelyn told him everything.

"Mad-" But that's all Daryl could say before Madelyn slapped him.

"Don't you ever talk to Carol like that ever again." Madelyn said, her tone deep as tears filled her eyes before she left. Daryl growled and turned to look at Carol again.

"Now look at what you've done!" Daryl yelled before stomping away.