𝚎𝚙𝚒𝚜𝚘𝚍𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛 - 𝚍𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚒𝚗

𝙴𝙿𝙸𝚂𝙾𝙳𝙴 𝚃𝙷𝙸𝚁𝚃𝚈-𝙵𝙾𝚄𝚁 - 𝙳𝙾𝚆𝙽 𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙳𝚁𝙰𝙸𝙽

Madelyn was out in the prison courtyard where she saw Hershel watching Glenn drive away. "He's pissed because those people hurt Maggie. Don't worry about it. His rage is motivation to get rid of the Governor once and for all." Madelyn said.

"I'm just praying he doesn't get hurt." Hershel said before looking at Rick who was outside the fences. "Praying for both of them."

"Rick will come around." Madelyn said. "He's still grieving, that's all."

Madelyn and Hershel both went over to the gate where Rick approached them on the other side. "Are you coming back soon?" Hershel asked Rick. With Daryl gone and Rick losing his mind, the group didn't really have a leader and they didn't know what to do, especially with the Governor on his way.

"Glenn's trying to take charge but he's too angry right now." Madelyn said.

"Smart as he is, he can't fill your boots." Hershel said. "I'm afraid he's reckless. We need you now more than ever."

"Well, if you're so worried about him, you lead, or Madelyn." Rick said.

"Rick, what are you doing out here?" Madelyn asked.

"I've...I've been....I've got stuff out here." Rick said. "Stuff."

"Stuff?" Madelyn asked sarcastically.

"How much longer do you need?" Hershel asked.

"I don't know. I don't...." Rick trailed off.

"Is there anything we can help you with?" Madelyn asked. Rick looked up and both Hershel and Madelyn knew something was up.

"I saw something." Rick said. "Lori. I saw Lor...I'm seeing Lori. I...I know it's not really her. But there's gotta be a reason. It's gotta mean something."

"Oh, Rick." Madelyn said. Lori's death really did mess Rick up, a lot worse than everyone had thought.

Before anyone could say anything, a gunshot was heard, alarming everyone. It was the Governor. "Oh my god, Hershel, get down!" Madelyn said before covering Hershel with her body. She looked up and saw Rick by the bridge outside the gate. "Rick, get inside!" Madelyn yelled as Rick ran, bullets flying all around him. Carl, Michonne, and Madelyn were shooting back at the Governor and his people. Axel was unfortunately dead and Carol was using his body as a shield from the bullets.

"Hershel, are you okay?" Madelyn asked once the gunfire had stopped. He nodded. Maggie quickly ran outside with some guns and handed them to Beth before the gunfire started again. Carol managed to get up and grab a gun and start shooting too. Madelyn got Hershel up and managed to take him to where Maggie was hiding before hiding herself behind the guard tower.

The sound of a truck could be heard approaching. A white and orange truck drove right into the gates, ripping them apart. The truck stopped and the back door opened, and the group saw walkers climbing out onto the courtyard.

"Shit!" Madelyn growled.

Maggie managed to kill the sniper standing in the guard tower and Rick was trying to make his way inside. Everyone went out and tried killing all the walkers whilst Glenn had just made it back in the car and saw what was going on. Michonne was running through the courtyard, slicing the walker's heads off with her sword.

Rick was struggling to keep two walkers off him until an arrow pierced its brain, killing it. It was Daryl's arrow. He had returned with Merle but Madelyn had not yet seen him. Madelyn had run out of ammo so she grabbed a knife and ran into the courtyard, killing as many walkers as she could. Her knifework was a little sloppy since her arm was still healing from the gunshot wound but it was strong. All the pain of losing Daryl, she channelled that pain and it made killing walkers a lot easier. Daryl spotted her in the courtyard, stabbing walker heads and immediately felt his heart flutter. He knew he had to talk to her once this was all over.

Merle, Daryl and Rick were killing walkers outside of the fences as Glenn came inside in the car as well as Madelyn who ran in from the courtyard, walker blood splattered all over her face and clothes.

"Are you okay?" Maggie asked Hershel.

"Yes, Madelyn protected me." Hershel said.

"Thank you, Mads." Maggie said, making Madelyn smile back at her. Everyone looked out at the courtyard and sighed. It was filled with walkers. It looked exactly how it looked when they first found it and all the gunfire was only attracting more. It felt like everyone's efforts just went down the drain.

 It felt like everyone's efforts just went down the drain